Old 02-02-2010   #31
Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Westy With Kids

I floated from Loma to the Westwater put in with the wife and 5 year old we took 2 days to get to Westwater camped at the Westy put in I made sure to be the first up and on the river and row all the way from the put in to Cisco or Fish Ford. I did Fish Ford (25ish long miles at 8000 cfs) witch involved ferrying the family across from the parking lot to the campsite. While I rowed all day they got up drove into Grand Junction and went shopping and ate lunch then drove to Fish Ford and waited. We then floated 2 more days together. THIS WAS A BIG PAIN IN THE A@S. It involved biking the kokopelli trail to set up the shuttle , Camping at the Fruita put in and rowing next the Interstate for 5 miles , Not getting to enjoy camping in the canyon , and I felt selfish the whole time for not going to the San Juan and enjoying the time with the family , mellow water , and amazing scenery. I hope this helps.

swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #32
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
I don't think the issue's a lack of mettel on the part of those responding to BullSCit's posts, but that basically we're talking about either taking a 5- or 7- year old kid over lots of scrambling and hand-over-hand on steep, polished rock just above the river, or on a 4 or 5 mile hike on a trail that may or may not be there through rugged terrain and potentially scorching conditions from May through September. Take a look at it on Google Earth and you start to get an idea of just how rough the terrain is within a couple of miles of the river. If you ever take a 7-yr old on that hike, just let us know how it turns out, eh?

If you know anything about the terrain around there or dealing with a kid that age, you don't have to be a rocket scientist or a Westwater Ranger for the phrase "not recommended" to pop into your mind when someone asks about hiking their kid around all of the Westy rapids.
Sorry to ruffle your feathers, but I believe this is the part of my post that you conveniently left out when you quoted me that addresses what you are talking about above:
"*(I must say that as I type this, I wouldn't hesitate to do it, but I would never send my child and wife into a desert hike if they didn't know exactly where they were going)."

I hear alot of people "not recommending" something that they haven't done. We've all been in the area and know it's rough terrain, but to say I wouldn't do it when they haven't done it....?

caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #33
Not a river guide, Ft. FunK
Somebody just do the f'n hike already and shut up about it. BullSClit,we're awaiting your TR..
Devils advocate
gapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010   #34
The hike

Originally Posted by BullSCit View Post
It is getting close to applying for some Westwater permits and I was wondering if it is possible to hike around the stretch of the bigger rapids? I was hoping to take my daughter, but when we get to the start of the rapids to hike my wife and her down to where it gets calm again. My mind was pretty polluted when I did Westy last year, and I remember the rapids being about 3 miles long. So I was hoping the hike wouldn't be much more that that. If it is possible is river left or right any better?
I have hiked both sides and I can tell you it won’t happen! They will get cliffed out. In addition I have run into some big cats in that area.
Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #35
Farmington, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1990
Hey, lets get the feds to pump money into the Moab ranger district, and they can build a nice railed walkway path all along the canyon so grammy and the munchkins can watch and laugh at Uncle Bob as he flips his Fish-Hunter inflatable in that silly little Sock-it-to-me. Then they can throw their ice cream cones into the recycle bin and take group pics with Ranger Alvin. (gag/retch)

What's that I hear? Oh, its just Ed Abbey chuckling ironically in his grave.

It's f**king wilderness. It doesn't cater to carting little kids around in it. Use it proper or stay the f**k out.
4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.
tyaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #36
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Strangest thread I ever read!!!!

I'm sorry to say this, but you and your family don't belong in there! Wait untill your kid is older and has more experience then share the ride......
There is no way to hike from Marble C past SITM???
NOT safely and not for a kid!!!
I've been in that canyon for 28 yrs and volunteer checkins!
If you have to ask then you should not be in there, yes kids do run the canyon but with people who know what there doing!
sorry 4 the bluntness
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010   #37
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Originally Posted by tyaker View Post
take group pics with Ranger Alvin. (gag/retch)
That part.....right there....made me laugh out loud. Such a cantankerous old cuss.
GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010   #38
mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
"Use it proper or stay the f**k out."
I agree. Get some plastic or rubber, pull up to the concrete ramp, float the river, and try not to get dirty.

Hilarious. This guy should be a ranger.
caseybailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010   #39
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You could hike out at Little Hole ,before Little D on the other side,at least a mile of moderately steep easy trail to a Mesa Verde type overhang with a steep trail to the rim on the left.You can drive to this point,tricky to find.From there you can probably shuttle them over to the head of Big Hole and descend down ,don't know how hard the trail is.Walking between the two would be 3 to 5 mile trek across badlands with baking heat and no shade ,less than optimal for anyone let alone small kid,plus the ascent and descent.Sort of defeats the purpose of running Westwater too.Trying to traverse below the rim gets dicey ,once I had to jump off about a 15-20 ft cliff onto a talus slope to avoid backtracking for miles with climbing,minor ankle sprain.

cayo 2 is online now   Reply With Quote