Old 07-22-2011   #61
boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
we got off on th 11th and had no bugs due to th strady 8900 release. put-in had th typical gnats and flies and a few Mosqs. i saw 1 Mosq at PotCreek1, Limestone and JH2. i wud assume tht since they dropped it tht wud give some breeding ponds for awhile. u need to chk wth some1 who has gotten off more recently to see if they've run their course by now.

4500cfs is a nice friendly level. it was many yrs ago whn i ran it at tht level but i remember it as being fun and safe. Winnies wont b washed out as it was for us. U shud probably scout Disaster (uppr, mddl and lower). scout all 3 at once. at 8900 it was our toughest rapid. for future reference: at 8900 i wud rate as follows::
Disaster 4-, Harp 3, Triplet 3-, HHM 3+, SpltMtn (23000 = 9000+14000) 2+
at 4600 u can def run Uppr D down rh middle and maybe sneak left. stay left for Mddl D, Harp- run th wave train, push and square up. Triplet- standard run. HHM- standard left of big rock run or th center run. SpltMtn- Read & Row.
i personally wud have th kids in row rigs for th water above th confluence. for qhirlpool canyon it depends on wht contribution th Yampa is making. chk th flows right up til u put on. theres still a lot of snow up high. th Yampa will be running well into September. Whirlpool can sneak up on u if its in th teens. even whn th Yampa comes in at 20+k u might not notice it in Echo park if ur not being alert. whn u stop or pass jones Hole 1 u can get a good estimate of just how much higher th flow is, assuming uve made a low water run in th past. hope this hlps

phlexicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #62
Great info, thanks guys! I've run Yampa high water and Split so kind of knew what to expect there. Our youngest will be 5 so gathering all I can.

Missed those pics and videos, great beta. Don't see any problem.

Just got off the Grand, don't want to be overconfident. Lol

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011   #63
Snowmass, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
In response to phlexicon, Winnies is a wash on the right, but hit the eddy low if you're trying to stop for a hike up into the grotto.
"A witty saying proves nothing."
- Voltaire (1694-1778)
earthNRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #64
Great trip with the water coming down. There are some excellent beaches in there now after the high water.

HHM is starting to get real boney in the channels now. A couple mosquitos at the put in but nothing really down in the canyon. A few biting files here and there. Very comfortable weather, it's super green out there. what a nice canyon, it had been several years since I had been out there.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote