Old 09-30-2004   #61
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Road into Gunni Gorge and the Chuker Trailhead

I hear the road to the Chuker trailhead put in is 4X4 quality and can be a real problem if it rains. Can anyone confirm this and has it been raining there? Thanks for your responses.

Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004   #62
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Road to gunny gorge

It's bumpy, but I was in there when it was dry and I think a high-clearance 2X could send it no prob. I also don't think a 4X4 would have any problems when it's wet either. There's some junior sandstone shelves you have to go over (6-8")and I think that's what everyone makes a fuss about. Maybe some puddles, but pretend you're in your boat and you're punching a hole (-:

Schizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004   #63
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
The road is a totally different story when wet. I think Schizzle is right about the back side that tends to be a little rough, but the front side is in some Mancos Shale that gets super snotty very fast with little rain. With a decent amount of rain, I would say 4x4 is mandatory. After a good rain it might not be passable or at least have some rope or a winch.

If dry, you can do it in a 2wd with decent clearance.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004   #64
Central, Colorado
Yup, I think it's a different story when wet. Was on it once after the rains and went for a loooong slide down one of the sections.

The guys who drive for Leroy say that generally it takes 3-4 hours for the road to be driveable again -- so bring a good book and wait until the road dries up.

tpalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004   #65
Looking for someone to do the bc with this weekend. one or two day. give me a call. 970 668 0517
CREEKER138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004   #66
Socratic Philosopher
I just got off the phone with the Forest Service? 970-240-5300 in Montrose, and Leroy (shuttle service) from Pleasure Park.

Gov't folks says some vehicles have been stuck on the Chukar road. Leroy said he cancelled shuttle service yesturday and today. The word seems to be the ground is saturated, and may take more than the usual 4-5 hours to dry out. Leroy said, eight or nine times to me, that the road is snotty, snotty, snotty, but that he had plenty of Fat Tire on tap should you choose to wait it out til Fri or Sat. The flows are expected to die off Monday.

This really sucks because the flows are not due to the RAIN. For once, I am asking for NO Rain. Weird. So, who wants to hike in? Snowshoes anyone?
Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder. I'm an over forty victim of fate.
el gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004   #67
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
it is true, the road gets horrible!!!!!... i spent an extra night and 1/2 day sleeping in wet shit, under the picnic table....our shuttle guy blew his tranny trying to get us out....the only people moving had chains and had the "pedal to the metal"....our shuttle driver's gal didn't show up to thing you know there was a heli hovering over us.... then, it disappeared up river looking for "the missing kayakers".....a good campfire story!!...can anybody go in and my bro are trying to pay for a shuttle(find a shuttle bunny) or a 3rd person right now.....going in sunday too....
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004   #68
Central, Colorado
Yikes -- that's crazy -- no rain and the road is still soaked. Crossing fingers it dries up soon, I'll be out in the midwest this weekend, skating around Chicago, but wish you fun paddling and wish I could come along...

tpalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004   #69
Anyone heading over to bc from Denver?

I'm thinking about going over to paddle on Saturday.
Is there anyone going over from Denver?

If so, can you ring me on 303 249 6599 and we can talk about sharing the driving and paddling together.

Is it a good idea to head over friday night camp and start the run in the morning?
Does anyone know how long it takes to drive over from Denver?

kayakingricht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004   #70
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
sic nik, i cannot reach you by phone...we will be at the put-in at 8:30ish...we will be running the shuttle in the early am.... group of three so far...3 for sunday as well....

milo is offline   Reply With Quote

black canyon