Old 06-22-2005   #1
High Water = Drownings ???

I haven't read about this many drownings and deaths on the western rivers in quite some time! My first year playing on the rivers of CO was in 95, and if I remember correctly, that year saw some of the highest water levels in decades! I can also remember 97 being high water, although not quite high as 95. But 97 had several kayak fatalities. At the time, I believe there were more that year, than any previous year.

I'm now living and paddling back east, so beside twisting my brain to remember how to read the levels for the runs I know, I am wondering how high everything really is out there?

Do you think the majority of this accidents are due to water levels, or the increase of participants? The evolution of gear? The exposure of what's possible in a kayak?

In 95, one of the best kayakers, at the time, I have ever known decided to hang up his paddle after being pinned to the bottomof the river on Dragon's Tail on Lime Creek. The creek was so swollen that adrenaline was a straight shot, NO slot! He and others that year pioneered many, many runs, creeks and levels that are simply considered "standards" by todays kayakers. Throughout all of these times, I don't recall any fatalities.

Anyone thoughts?

**As always, please keep it safe on the water![/b]

WesternMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #2
I dont think that the high water levels are necessarily causing the high number if deaths this year. It has probably been a factor in some of the non-kayking/non-raft related deaths, but I think as far as boating goes, it is really a combination of bad luck, a few years of low water and the high water. Because of the low water we have had people are doing runs expecting it to run a certain way, and it running completly differently. This is not really the case in the few deaths I am thinking of, but more a factor in some of the close calls and bad runs I've heard about this season.

NYdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #3
I would be interested in seeing how many kayaking deaths there are per year for the past ten years. I would guess that techincally, fewer people of drowning. For example, if there were 1000 people kayaking in 95, and 50 of them lost their lives, then it's about 5%. If 10000 people kayak in 2005 and 200 people drown, then that's just 2%

I would guess then that it has more to do with the increased number of boaters.
De la Boot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #4
This article was in the Denver Post today /newhttp://www.denverpost.coms/ci_2816183 Only 1 of the 10 river related deaths this yaer was that of a kayaker. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005   #5
Denver (Philly Native), Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Zooooiks...I open up the article and the head line was "Deaths in Raging Rivers" or something and then I get a POP up add to go rafting on the Ark. What the....
"When the going gets weird, the Weird turn pro" -HST
PhillyBoop is offline   Reply With Quote