Old 06-07-2011   #1
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
High brace = dislocated shoulder

Came out on castle creek- slaughterhouse. Now my season's over. Let me be an example

DevanJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #2
Define what you mean by high brace and how it caused your dislocation. A properly executed high brace has a low degree of risk; An improperly executed high brace (and a bunch of other improperly executed strokes) will rip your shoulder out.

"It's All Good"
BobN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #3
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Improperly executed high brace equals shoulder dislocation
DevanJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #4
InaRV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 12BC
all high braces are danger
bonzola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #5
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Bob, can you enlighten us as to the difference btwn a properly executed high brace and an improper one...I am very curious to know what the differences are. Thanks
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #6
Durango South, 4CRS
Paddling Since: 07
Sorry to hear that Devan; I did the same thing last May. The good news is with all of the runoff there will still be some dam release runs going when you are healed up in ~3 months. Good luck with the rehab!
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. - Helen Keller
yakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #7
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I second the motion to clarify a proper high brace. I was under the impression that low brace was the only "safe" brace. Sucks about your shoulder man, I hope you at least get to booze cruise with some rafters.
life is too important to be taken seriously
krashhadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #8
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I use the high brace frequently... and there are multiple situations where it is the stroke of choice.

A proper high brace has the elbow down at belly button level and close to your body, and your shoudler is all the way down. Wrists are at shoulder level with the power face of the blade down.

A high brace executed from an aggressive forward leaning position can be used to ride diaganol waves and to keep from flipping in turbulent drops.

The wrong way to do a high brace is to let your elbows come up and away from your body, let your shoulder rise up, and let your hands come up at near head level.

Its easy to tell beginners never to do a high brace, but for more advanced boaters, the key is knowing when and how to do a high brace.

Bummer about your shoulder injury.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #9
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
That sucks about the shoulder injury. Seems like a lot of injures lately getting chalked up lately. Be safe (message for myself as well).

Regarding the high brace, I often have some trouble distinguishing between a high brace and forward stroke. I mean, I know what a flailing high oh-shit brace looks like, but I feel like I fairly frequently do things that are probably like a high brace but I turn them into forward strokes. Know what I mean? Expert comments? I've honestly seen very few - perhaps zero - kayakers that never use a high brace. How it's executed definitely can reduce the risk: elbows in, rotating the torso instead of stretching out the arm, etc.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Agree... agressive forward posture allows you to turn a high brace for instant stability into a forward stoke in kind of a dynamic duffek stroke kind of move. Use it all the time.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote

lyons creek clinic