Old 06-09-2011   #21
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
I've done the same arms extended over head move reaching deep for green water in a hole to be pulled out. It worked but I felt it enough afterwards to not be so quick to do it again.

Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #22
What dislocates the shoulder is when the arm gets pushed up and back.

The low brace is naturally done down and your wrist can absorb a shock. A disadvantage to a high brace is you lose the flex in your wrist.

I'm getting high with my low brace in the pic, but still can absorb a shock with my wrist.

cadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011   #23
Its all about joint stability. The rotator cuff stabilizes the shoulder joint out to about 90 degree's. The glenoid usually prevents upward motion, but after you rotate above 90, the soft tissue component of stability is gone for anterior and inferior movement. If the center of your paddle is climbing to the top of your helmet, your at risk.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011   #24
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I originally posted this as a warning to the intermediate paddler who never really took the time to dial in a crucial and fundamental concept. Clearly, I don't have the background to comment on the subtleties of every brace, but I was caught with my elbow out leaning back. I rarely find myself in this position, but it only takes one time. Now the season that I was so looking forward to is pretty much up in smoke, including climbing which I spend much more time on than kayaking.

Thanks for all the well wishes. As an interesting note, my shoulder came out while kayaking with Harlan Taney (whom I had just met), who was super helpful and more than willing to help try to field reduce my dislocation. We probably tried six or seven times before we pulled the plug and headed to the er. I thought for sure we had it, but it kept popping back out. Harlan along with Jason from Georgia, was cool enough to meet me at the hospital and get in touch with my wife. Both of these guys could pick any spot on the globe and paddle at a level most of us dream about. Instead they found themselves with a gumby with a busted shoulder. I owe them a debt of gratitude. Hope to see you out there next year.
DevanJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011   #25
Golden, Colorado
Good luck with the recovery. I thought of this thread when I saw a photo that got posted in the photo gallery recently. Elbows UP, lean BACK... booyah!...

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011   #26
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Devan, Heard about your injury and that sucks!! Had a great time out with you guys on the Gorge before that. Anytime you want to sit in the boat and drink Jack you're welcome. Bring Sarah. She's a great paddler and a lot of fun!! Take care. You'll be back before this season ends! Maureen
maureen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #27
denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Thanks Maureen! MRI next week, but feels way better, Sara and I would be psyched to get back on the river with you guys, we had a blast!
DevanJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011   #28
Though I don't know you, good luck with the shoulder. I hope it heals up fast. Ture - the "burning man" position seems to be a favorite for inexperienced waterfall runners. Worries me every time I see it, particularly when they lay way back on the back deck. Good water fall running involves leaning slightly to hard forward (depending on boof vs. plug) with hands and paddle as close to the deck as possible.

"It's All Good"
BobN is offline   Reply With Quote

lyons creek clinic