Old 11-27-2012   #61
Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Welp, I didn't make it far! That sucked! I'll tune back in when that dude does the Stikine with his noodle!

Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012   #62
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
"I surfed for 5 seconds in a class 3+ hole!".Since when did holes get there own rating? has some of the best post on these guys.In there videos,the dad flips on class 1 waves,and doesn't EVEN attempt a brace!FYI,i'm selling outriggers for WW kayaks!Go to youtube and check out Shaftfloats videos.Just watch the first minute and a half of the Savage River video.Nuff said.

TELEYAKCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #63
Griffith, Indiana
Paddling Since: 2009
This year I decided that the main thing holding my dad and I back are his intimidation of bigger whitewater. I decided to step things down several notches and stick to class I-II for a while to focus on developing basic paddling skills. Once we get better as paddlers, we can get back into harder whitewater and be safer and more confident. We jumped the gun in our progression and it is my fault for being a daredevil. My dad is a daredevil as well which REALLY doesn't help when planning trips. Our recent "baby river" trip where we work hard on ferrying, surfing, eddying, bracing, etc is here:

Also, at Randaddy, you make some great points and I will be looking into those concerns. Thanks for the advice.
Gary D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013   #64
Duluth, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2007
Just what I need to perfect my upstream brace!
BrianP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013   #65
Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
bailito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #66
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Please take a look at my Photo Web Gallery.
I also have here some gear reviews (that I might update soon).
rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #67
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
I nearly shit myself a few weeks ago when this kid who asked a buddy if we could set safety for him after baby falls on the Tellico had one of these. As soon as my buddy saw it, he turned to me and said quietly, ok so I made a bad decision. Fortunately, there was no carnage and we didn't have to chase after a boat. I will never be convinced that these have any place in class III+ whitewater.
mdignan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #68
Staghorn Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Agreed, not in maybe even III. But in I - II under controlled & qualified supervision it could be useful for older, disdvantaged paddlers. However, for some jocko to think it'll save his bacon 'cuz he thinks its schnizz is just idiotic, and dangerous to anyone setting safety for bozo. IMHO I think even the inventor acks that, least I hope so.
BCxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013   #69
SYOTR, Tennessee
Learn how to make a video. Don't expect people to watch a 28 min video. Cut it to 5 minutes or less.
ouachita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013   #70
Duluth, Minnesota
Paddling Since: 2007
So what happens when you lose your paddle in the "class III+" hole and now you've got to use a breakdown that doesn't have the ShaftCushy on it to get down the rest of the run? I bet ignoring all those useless skills going to bite you in the ass.

BrianP is online now   Reply With Quote