Old 11-10-2003   #1
Hey Flaco, mexico kayaking?

hey flaco, it sounds like the ciudad valles is the place to go. What rivers do you recomend? I looked up the rio micos and rio santa maria, are these close to ciudad valles? if we are running rivers around this area do we need playboats or creekers? thanks for your help

huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #2
Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I am also interested in running these rivers in early December. Does anybody know where you can rent boats. ANyboady intersted in going???

Arn Hayden

Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #3
Central, Colorado
if you go...

...also checkout Rio Tampaon (really a section of the Santa Maria). I went there only once, a few years back, and had a great time. Paddling Micos did make me feel like a monkey. We rented boats from Carlos down there, he had three: X, Y, and Infrared. I might have his email address if you want it... but you'll have to write your email in Spanish There were three of us, so it worked out. Not sure what the possibilities are like right now.

You can read my trip report with pictures of a bunch of rivers at: (Tampico area)

Hope this helps,

PS. Meant to add: Rio Verde is also around there. I would take a playboat, I think that the flows will be on the low side and so a playboat will be more versatile.
tpalka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #4
that trip looked like fun. i'd like to paddle there someday. beautiful area.
adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2003   #5
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Mexico beta

The best way to go is to sign on with a guide service, like Agua Azul. They even know the guys that can turn on the water at Micos in the dry season. I've always been willing to take on the adventure on my own, and there is a price for that. I've been lost on shuttles and missed days of boating, I've had two flats at once in the middle of nowhere, passed the takeouts after dark, and even had a van burn down in Texas. To me, that's part of the thrill- I'll tell you, it's not for everyone.

The water starts to get really low in January, so the ideal time to go is earlier in December or in November. I'm heading down over Thanksgiving this year, because a few of the runs take more rain to get the levels up and mo' water is always fun. That being said, the water can get too high this early. That's one of the risks.

Regardless- if some of you are planning to head down there, be good ambassadors for your sport. THe Mexican folks in this area are super nice, so don't go driving fast through the villages, get drunk and stupid in the bars, etc. I've had nothing but great experiences sown there, and besides, it ain't your country and if you forget that, that's when the horror stories come up.

Good luck- the winter boating is fantastic.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003   #6
Amsterdam, Netherlands
i'm headed down with a bunch of bros for thanksgiving to ciudad valles. keep an eye out for a white 4x4 ambulance and a grey toyota truck. we're headed down on the 21st for 10 days. see you there! -trev

tboner is offline   Reply With Quote