Old 06-06-2008   #1
lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
hero/super hero

I was thinking of picking one of these up as my creek boat. For those of you that have paddled them what are the likes/dislikes, how do they do as a creek boat? At 5-10/175 lbs., which one should I get? Thanks, Mike C

MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #2
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I've got a super hero...

I bought a super hero a few weeks ago as my creek boat. I love it. I tried out several creekers Nomad, Habitat, Burn, and Super Hero. I liked the Super Hero and Burn the best because they have some edges and were easy to drive where you want to go. It give you the ability to surf your way out of a hole easier. It does have pretty hard chines and the only thing I worry about is catching an edge in some manky shit. So far this hasn't been a problem.

This boat is tough I pitoned in it when I demoed it and punched the nose in about 3-4 inches, it popped out about 2 hrs later in the sun. I ordered a reinforcement for the central bar that runs from the front to the back of the boat along the bottom. The rocker has this reinforcement and you can add it to the hero for ridgity and support.

The super hero would be too big for you. I am 6'3 and 220. 87 gallons is alot of boat.

goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #3
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
MC, The Super may be a bit big, but it comes down to what you are going to use it for. Several of our team members that are your size are using the Super... but their interest is more NF Payette type deep water. In Colorado, we don't have much "big water" (well more so this year, but you know what I mean) if you are going to be more in classic Colorado creeks, then I would demo a Hero first then try the Super before you buy. My thought is that the Hero will do it for you. Great sporty boat that is not overly large (for our smaller creeks) and has more than enough volume to stay on top. Plus it's one of the the best gore boats out there (my humble opinion).
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #4
V for Victory
9300ft, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to SummitAP
I paddled a Hero and thought it was the most fun boat I've ever been in as a river runner. It is well behaved, stable, and it carves but never catches. I didn't find any rocks with it to try. I went with a used Rocker due to price.
SummitAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008   #5
The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Tried Hero at 5'10" and 185 and didn't like it. I thought it got thrown around by the river to much and was really really slow.

I bought a cheap H3 (Burn) and like it.
Life: Live it!
Badazws6 is online now   Reply With Quote