Old 10-10-2007   #1
Help with Jefe Expedition packing

Hey paddlers

Im wondering if you guys have any experience and advice paddling multi days in the Jefe, and if so what or how you have altered your boat to accomodate more gear. I know some people shave down bulkheads, which front or back and how much?

Also, any advice on where you packed what and how it worked for you and how you would potentially do it differently if you were to do more of the same paddling.

Going to do some multi days in Peru in a few days and looking to pimp out the Jefe to make it hold as much gear as possible

Thanks for the help

flounderbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007   #2
Boulder, Colorado
food storage

I store my food under my seat that way it is easy to get at and food is the heaviest item so centering it is a good idea, just make sure that it wont fall out if you swim. have fun, multidays are the shit.

tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007   #3
Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
I don't have a Jefe, but on my Burn I shaved down the leading edge of my rear bulkhead. You don't want to shave off too much and compromise the integrity of the bulkhead. But, if you carve out a little contour it is a lot easier to pack drybags into the stern. Remember to keep your heaviest items as close to your seat as possible. Roll pads, sleeping bags, and clothes should go as far back in the stern as you can cram them.

I have been using a Watershed stow float on one side and regular Watershed bag on the other side. I like that method because it gives you some flexibility, and you can pull out the dry bag for side trips and safety breaks. Enjoy Peru, I'm jealous.
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
frijolita, rip it up down south with dos metros.

you gonna chill with el cazador in ecuador?
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #5
I really like the prijon dry bag float bags. I just did four days in mine and having that conical shape helps with getting them in and out. I get a small set and pack the heaviest stuff in the bow to trim the boat. If you pull the wall and bulkhead back but guide the metal bulkhead arms to the outside of the seat. Then pull it as far back as I could. In this position I could put a small to medium sized bag on either side of the pillar. You could cut the end off of your pillar to provide more room as well. I was running heavy, not to many portages on Ruby Horse thief, So I had my tent, Sleeping bag, and food up front. I had enough room for my sleeping pad up there. I would place the bags just in front of the bulkhead and then push it into place, sliding the pillar, bulkhead, and bags up as a unit. The back is pretty standard. I like to have a 4x6 ground sheet or tarp just behind the back band. You usually have to stuff the last few items in the back dry bags once they are in place. With the tarp you can unload on to the tarp instead of the sand and then when you are ready to go. stuff the mostly full bag into the back, and then stuff the last few items from the tarp. Keeps the grit out of the hip pads.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #6
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
i paddled a loaded jefe on several peruvian multidays this past summer & have done tons of other multidays requiring more gear in the jefe & other designs. the cool thing is that, one, you won't need a bunch of storm gear or clothing in peru (you might opt out of taking a shelter altogether), and, two, the jefe performs better loaded than it does empty, in my opinion.

as for packing, if your group approaches gear acquisition & distribution as a team issue, as opposed to a personal issue, you will maximize space & cut weight all the more. e.g., shelter: take 2-man shelters as opposed to everyone taking a personal shelter; food: buy for the group then separate it out. don't double-up on stuff like stoves & water filter/purification stuff -- it's a hassle enough just getting down there & getting around w/o having 3 or 4 of every piece of gear & then not using them. ultimately, you just want to distribute equal amounts (space & weight) of "group provisions" across your whole team. go minimalist & then spread the weight - it works.

boat mods are limited to knocking down the center pillars (fore & aft). just cut 'em short, & that will give you room to spread gear laterally across the inside of your stern & bow. i cut the little gear hook / 'biner hole things off the seat & this does wonders for getting bags in & out from behind the seat. i also trimmed the part of the bow pillar closest to my crotch to allow some more space right in the cockpit area.

pack smart. i'm a big fan of using numerous small drybags as opposed to a couple big bags or one huge stern bag. this makes it easy to organize your shit & keep it separated. and it allows you to play around with different weight distribution config's throughout your trip as you figure out what you like & what you don't, & as your total weight changes over the course of the trip.

i love the seal line kodiak window series. yeah, watershed bags rule, but they are super heavy, they take up a lot of space, & they're expensive. if you don't care about that stuff, then go watershed. otherwise, the seal line bags are affordable, you can see inside them, they're lightweight, efficient, DRY, & you can purge the air out of them AFTER you seal them, which is an awesome feature. in peru, i used 2 kodiak window 10's, 2 kodiak window 15's, and a couple seal line storm sack 5's & 10's for random stuff. my camera goes in a watershed ocoee. and that's all .. plenty of storage capacity.

as for loading your boat, keep in mind the jefe has some stern stability issues to begin with .. so load accordingly. in peru, i had a bag w/ a group cookset & some heavy-ish food, and a bag with my bedroll & sleeping stuff up in the bow. tent & clothes go into the stern first, then food on one side & random bags on the other, then the super heavy stuff (camera equipment & northwater spectra throwbag) on either side closest to the seat where it's relatively centered fore/aft & also easily accessible. since the jefe seat has space for stuff under it, i'd use an MSR dromedary bag for water & put that in the under-seat space on one side & then random stuff under the other asscheek. in the suicide space (crotch), i'd have a fuel bottle & my first aid / extraction kit.
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007   #7
Summit, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to COUNT
Wow. Thanks a lot for the awesome beta, Todd. In the paragraph where you're talking about boat mod's with the pillars, are you saying that it's better to remove the pillars, cut off the length so they don't extend as far towards the center of the boat, or hollowing out the sides?

What were night-time temperatures like in Peru? Would a lightweight bag be enough?

Does anyone have any suggested retrofits for the backband to improve access or is just not worth compromising the band? Thanks.

"The world would be a better place if everyone kayaked."-Brad Ludden (Valhalla)
"You only get one chance to run a drop blind."-DD
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007   #8
Charc in = charc out
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1992
i realized that what i said about not needing a buncha storm gear might not necessarily be the case. dry season is coming to an end shortly. point is, you won't need to pack tons of warm stuff. just a little

Count -- night time temps on the river were warm. i used a feathered friends vireo bag (Feathered Friends -- Product Details) with the "epic" shell coating & it was awesome. packs super-small, super-light & was plenty warm. i used it on the clendinning trip in BC, which is cold at night, & with a lightweight down top, inside a one-man shelter, i was warm. in peru, at camp i'd wear lightweight capilene bottoms tucked into socks (the bugs can be bad), with boardshorts over (cuz no one wants to see your ass in spandex), or a pair of IR surf pants w/ no capilene under. up top i'd wear an IR short-sleeved synthetic t-shirt unless the bugs were bad in which case i'd do long-sleeved. that's it.

if you're in cusco, it's cold there because you're at like 10K elevation. the shuttle out of the abysmo section climbs a ridiculous amount of elevation, from hot to freezing, so having a lightweight packable down is a great idea. i have the patagonia pullover down thing with a hood.

pillars ... cut the length down off the tips to increase interior space at the ends of your boat. but i also cut the bow pillar closest to the seat to make some more room. you do this at the expense of hull rigidity (& therefore safety in the event of a pin), so consider that before you start hacking. worst case scenario, you buy new innards for your boat from LL.

i'm jealous .. wish i was going back south next week ..
ToddG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #9
Denver, Colorado
Good advice about sharing gear and going minimalist.I have been thinking about getting this Hennessee hammock thing,it will .eliminate the need for tent,pad,and sleeping bag.You really don't need a sleeping bag unless you are at high altitude ,you'll sweat like a pig.Just layer polypro capilene or fleece for warth. Anyway this hammock has a rainfly and mosquito netting and is smaller and lighter than any one of the aforementioned items.Of course you'll need trees{not usually hard to find in the tropics} or some other method to suspend it, maybe take one of those climbing devices called friends to chock into rock,it would be could to have in your rescue/climbing gear anyway.I also use a tiny stove by ESBIT it is like the size and shape of a wallet wieghs next to nothing and burns fuel tablets that are very compact and burn at super high temperatures and light when they are wet!Both are sold at REI.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007   #10
Denver, Colorado
www, ,has pics and models.On a side note my friend Greg does a lot of 1st D's in Central America,on day trips that might result in an overnight he takes some hefty bags for emergency shelter,sounds miserable but helps reduce bug bites. Some one in your group should have a machete.Have fun,lucky bastard!

cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote