Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-14-2011   #1
Ottawa, Ontario
Paddling Since: 1994
Help! Whitewater club trying to win a clubhouse!

Hi guys,

I volunteer with a whitewater club in Ottawa (Canada) and we are trying to get a clubhouse built at our urban whitewater site. It would provide boat storage, changerooms and bathrooms to paddlers who come to the Pumphouse in Ottawa. We are in an online contest to try to win $100,000 to make this happen. Catch.. we need online voters and votes, and there are 4 days left in the 1st round. If anyone here feels moved to help out some fellow whitewater paddlers, it is easy and free to do so.

Step 1: Visit our entry website Community Paddling Clubhouse for Lebreton Flats Whitewater Site | Aviva Community Fund
Step 2: Register with your e-mail address and vote
https://apps.facebook.com/avivacommunityfund/ Or you can vote with your facebook account, just search for idea #11842.
Step 3: Come back and vote for the next 3 days (and share it if you can)

We are in 13th place right now, and need to make it into the top ten (in the medium category) in order to move on to the semis. I'd really appreciate any support you can offer.
Alison Smedley

Canadian Geographic piece on our site and the slalom athletes who train there. We have local rec kayak and open canoe paddlers too, just the videos are of slalom. Great pics of our current home in 3 shipping containers in the video.
Promo Video from our National Slalom Team Trials in 09: Canadian National Team Trials 2009 - Whitewater Slalom - YouTube

Ottawa River Runners Association - Home
Community Paddling Clubhouse for Lebreton Flats Whitewater Site | Aviva Community Fund

Below is a pic of the architect's rendering of the building design. It looks out over our whitewater course (which has the water turned off in the pic).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Perspectives 02 jpg.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	622.2 KB
ID:	4083  

alison_orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011   #2
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Hi Alison,
How is this going?
FYI, I went to the facebook link, and clicked "like", and then "Vote Now". This leads to a facebook app requesting to be installed. I use a tool from Unsubscribe.com to evaluate the safety of facebook apps. The Unsubscribe.com tool rates "Aviva Community Fund" reputation as "yellow", "Caution". I am not sure why that is, but you may want to check with the developer of that facebook app, and see if they can make it less intrusive, and/or talk to Unsubscribe.com about it. I won't install facebook apps unless they are "green" = "Safe" rating from Unsubscribe.com.

So I went to the website, and attempted to register, but I did not get the registration email. I clicked on "resend the registration email", but I did not receive it, and it is not in my spam folder. Its possible that my email provider (Comcast) flags that mail server (avivacommunityfund.org) as a spammer before it gets to my spam folder. I have run into that problem before. If that is the case, the email admin for avivacommunityfund.org will have to go to comcast.com and fill out a form with the ip address of their mail server, stating what steps they have taken to curtail spam. I believe the form is here:

I think Comcast is overly aggressive with flagging auto-generated emails as spam. I have talked to Comcast Customer Support about this, with no success, other than being directed to that Blocked Provider Request Form. I filled that form out myself for another email server (taking a guess at the IP address, by doing ping tests), without success.

I gave all this feedback here as well:
Contact Us | Aviva Community Fund
Good luck with the contest.

wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #3
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Hello Alison,
I see that this project did not receive enough votes to make it to the semi-finals. I'm sorry I was not able to vote (as outlined above). I never received any response from the feedback I posted here, or the feedback I gave to avivacommunityfund.org.
It still sounds like a worthy project, and I hope you can get some other funding.
Best Regards,
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote