Old 11-20-2003   #1
Help needed before end up dead! (;

Hi everyone-I need help! I've caught the bug and need knowledge. I've recently gone from a two man rec Kayak to a one man creeker (WaveSport Mutant). To say it is a big change is an understatement. I realize I need lessons but none are avail until the spring-plus there is only a couple more times for me before winter anyways. I am enrolled in a rolling clinic in December. But the bug has hit and I can't stop running the streams. They are running pretty fast right now and I am wondering if these damn boats turn or what? So here are my questions... Can you turn these creekers other than by agressively paddling and/or ruddering? Can these Mutants be put up on edge and carve? And is that how you make a turn? I've watched a video but it doesn't have a single creekboat in it. My problem is when the water is rushing fast and the creek turns-I feel like I'm being pushed right into the bank and then WHAM-underwater I go. If I'm not mistaken you lean away from the current (devils fingers) but I guess I don't see how you can turn that way. Everything else seems ok. I can enter the eddy's alright and all that but I can't turn/steer. Its me right? I'm not really looking for a lesson just an answer to my questions in a simple yes/no format. Any additional help you want to toss in would be appreated. Thanks everyone!!!!! PS-this ain't easy is it! hehehehehehe

Add Message Subscribe Edit Subscriptions Show Frames

NY EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003   #2
pnw, Washington
Creekers turn like any other boat, depending on the model they will turn slower than playboats. I suggest you go to a local lake and take your boat out there before it freezes up and learn to turn and manuever your boat with little or no risk. Stay close to shore and dress warm. On the lake you will be wondering why the boat never goes straight. Learn to paddle it straight and you will be on your way to boat control. Keep watching instructional videos such as SOAR and their are several others. Good luck.

gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003   #3
Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
GH is totally correct. Basically the issues you are experiencing are the welcome mat to learning white water control. Creekers are less edgy, and that is MUCH to your advantage at this stage (especially if you continue to learn in moving water.) As mentioned by GH, get on a lake and don't worry about moving water until you roll is totally perfected. That way when you do flip... you can roll right back.

In regards to turning your boat it's all about edge control and how to utilize your hips correctly to compensate for what the water wants to do. This will ONLY come with time on the water. Indoor pool sessions are the best way to get that kinda time during the winter.

It will come in time, but yes, kayaking isn't easy.
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote