Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 01-18-2006   #1
Help me understand this West Slope vs. Front Range stuff

In the interest of livening things up, and hopefully not flare too many passions, here's my take of this West Slope vs. Front Range resentment you occaisionally see. I am a Front Ranger trying to understand this stuff.

A lot of Front Range people are there because of jobs. Since we kayak, we like the outdoors and we'd probably want to live in a neater place, but the jobs lock us down. Many of these jobs are a bit of pain and the cost of living is a bit high, but its generally an OK trade off. Yea, the density of people and the traffic is a bit much, but Colorado is a great place and you can be some place nice to enjoy the outdoors with a bit of effort. It's a free country so no problems. Yea, the Front Range soaks up some water, but the urban areas soak up less than the east slope farmers and the people would soak up the water whether they lived in Denver or Grand Junction.

The West Slope people like living away from masses of people and many have chosen to deliberately live away from urban areas. Perhaps they could make more money in an urban area, but the West Slope offers more quality of life. Some of these people can't stand the density of urban areas. Perhaps some of these people want a simpler life. The outdoors are important and they don't want them spoiled. They feel nervous when development encroaches on them because it threatens how they want to live. And, they don't want the urban areas to impact them very much. Tourists are a love them/hate them relationship since a lot of West Slope economy is based on them yet they can encroach on the way of life.

Front Rangers probably have more stress in their life and don't feel as close to their fellow man--rules should help organize things. West Slopers have a closer connection to their fellow man and think common sense and just being courteous will organize things fine.

basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #2
But it all really boils down to west slopers tend to be more inbread due to the shortage of women..

cma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #3
Basil you are a tool. Frontrangers Suck!
Surfpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #4
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
who sucks more, the frontranger that moves to your quaint mountain town or the one who visits on the weekends?

Who sucks more, east coasters or californians?

tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #5
Eagle County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I think there are some jobs up here, especially in more tourist dense places, but the cost of living is really what kills us mountain/west slope people.
WhiteLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #6
ski/kayak bum
going back to cali, cali, cali- even B.I.G loved the west coast

front rangers suck but so does surfpimp....so i'm torn.........

p.s. your reading too much into it.............
double-a-ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #7
As I sit here trying to think up something smart, witty and funny. I come to sad realization that I am not any of thee above. But any whoo a six pack of Fat Tire(a front range brew) to the first west sloper that can keep up with me on teleskis. sj
sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #8
The fact is, I don't know who sucks worse; front rangers, or western slopers. But I can definatively answer one questions in this thread. Californians suck worse than East Coasters.
conservative boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #9
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Someone help me understand this M-Wave thing...

P.S. I'd like to improve Gore Rapid - does anyone know a good source for info on modifying rapids?
Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006   #10
Man, this site has not changed a bit. Who the fuck cares! About the FR, Cali, or WS that is.

matty1971 is offline   Reply With Quote