Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-23-2013   #1
Bozeman, Montana
Help me plan my Spring river trips in the Northwest!

Hi folks! I've gotten some wonderful advice off of this website from some of you folks before, so I'm back for more.

My boyfriend and I have a 17' wooden whitewater dory and are planning a spring full of river trips in the Northwest, coming from Jackson, WY. We have from early April to early June and would like to hit up several or all of these rivers:

Bruneau/Jarbrige, Owyhee, Selway, Main Salmon, Hells Canyon, Deschutes, and the Rogue. (all pre-permit season if possible). We'd also be open to any suggestions of other rivers, live music, good brewpubs, and river festivals along the way!

I also realize that taking a big dory down some of these might not be the best idea (Bruneau, Selway... others?) and he would kayak, I would ride in a raft for those rivers.

I'm looking for advice on what put-ins and take-outs, good river maps, shuttle services, etc. that you might have.

Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #2
Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Upper Clackamas Whitewater festival outside of Portland in May. Upper Clackamas Whitewater Festival tons of great breweries in Portland, Eugene, and Bend.

The Umpua river is fun in the spring with many put-ins to create different length trips.

Rogue is great preseason, we always do it the 1st weekend in May. Affordable Shuttle has always treated us well.

I like Trout Creek to Sandy Beach on the Deschutes in the spring, good fishing as well.

Joe W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013   #3
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
You might want to cut the Bruneau/Jarbrige and Owyhee off the list, with the current snowpack it is doubtful either will have much of a season. Also consider the Grande Ronde either from Minam to Troy (3-4 days) or Minam to Heller Bar (5-6 days). North Fork John Day from Dale to Monument is a nice 3 day float. If you have the time Service Creek to Clarno or Clarno to Cottonwood on the John Day are also great.
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013   #4
Spokane, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
This is a great guide book, the bible for western rivers and well worth the price.

Amazon.com: Western Whitewater from the Rockies to the Pacific: A River Guide for Raft, Kayak, and Canoe (9780961365042): Jim Cassady, Bill Cross, Fryar Calhoun: Books
riverjunky is offline   Reply With Quote