Old 03-12-2013   #21
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Originally Posted by GoodTimes View Post only need ONE that is friggen bomber.
Yup! but that one is sort of important. Just sayin'

tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013   #22
Eagle, Idaho
Paddling Since: '78
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post

Yup! but that one is sort of important. Just sayin'
So go learn it in the environment where you're actually going to need it....that's all i'm sayin'

GoodTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013   #23
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I'm totally with GoodTimes on this one. Just go kayaking. A lot of people (in CO especially) will say "I won't take you out on class 2/3 unless you can show me your roll" and IMO that is just silly.

Go kayaking. Find a fun crew. Boat a bunch with that crew. When your crew doesn't want to boat anymore, find other random people on the buzz who do want to boat and go with them. Ask your crew what boat to get (heck one of them may have an old one they want to sell cheap). This also prevents you from buying a playboat as boat number 2 when it turns out you really would like creeking more or vice versa. But it all starts with GO KAYAKING MORE!!!

I'd also recommend swimming more (I'm very serious). Once you realize that swimming really isn't the worst thing that can happen, a lot of fear and nervousness about being underwater goes away and you calm down and hit your roll. If you're nervous everytime you're underwater, its really really hard to remember how to roll.
Whitewater Map American Whitewater river info you can use.
pilom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #24
Parker, Colorado
Thanks for all the help...looks like the consensus is to be in the boat as much as possible this year.

Again...if any newbies wanna head out let me know!
keith-stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013   #25
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Originally Posted by keith-stone View Post
Thanks for all the help...looks like the consensus is to be in the boat as much as possible this year.

When you get your gear sorted out, let me know. I will take you kayaking.
coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #26
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
open pool from 7-830 tonight at silverthorne rec.
harper80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #27
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by keith-stone View Post

I would be happy to float down the Milk Run with you (once the water comes up a little). Feel free to shoot me a pm anytime you want to boat in the Ark Valley. If I can't join you there is a good chance I can get you in touch with someone who can.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013   #28
Jenks, Oklahoma
Late to this party but long time instructor and owner of 1996 RPM Max I purchased new from NOC. And, have 7 kayaks including Remix 79 and Super Hero. That RPM Max is still one of my most favorite kayaks.

The RPM series is a proven kayak and should work to get you kayaking.

Second the need for good instruction on low risk runs.

The RPM series works great when the boater keeps their chest forward, that is if the boater leans back that transfers boat trim to the stern which creates water over that flat tail section and a wobby kayak. Most issues with RPM's are cured by chest forward semi erect posture.

So make sure you understand how to set in your kayak. IE weight balanced on butt cheeks, chest forward a bit - bending at the hips and feet comfortably on the foot pegs.

You mentioned feet going to sleep etc. You cannot be comfortable and balance your boat if the outfitting is off. The RPM outfitting is pretty simple. But make sure the hip pads are foamed out and provide secure but not binding support to the upper part of the hip. Make sure the back band is snug and provides good support. I replaced my RPM Max factory back band with one of the aftermarket brands, ask your local outfitter for help on getting the right one. You mentioned feet going to sleep, this maybe caused by too tight hip pads or front of the seat too high. On my RPM Max I put on the stick on seat pads. Again check with the local outfitter and order what works.

The RPM series is one of the easiest boats to roll I have ever had. But as mentioned before you have to have good outfitting to do a decent roll especially during the learning process.

My RPM Max is one of if not the best surfing kayaks ever for me. For a newbie, surfing is one of the first and most fun play moves they can make and good front, side and back surfing sets you up for more advanced play moves as far as the comfort level is concerned.

So bottom line suggestions. Get that RPM outfitting to fit. Learn proper posture and chest forward bending from the hips when paddling the boat. Learn to roll in a pool with good instruction. Get a nice diving face mask to wear while learning the roll as this cuts down on problems with water in the nose and lets you see what is going on) Progress to class 2 runs and get comfortable paddling forward, good "J" leans to carve turns, eddy turns, ferry moves and easy front surfing. Do this then move on to class 3 runs.

The RPM series is a great way to get comfortable and learn to kayak. They are cheap to buy and easy too paddle. Learn to paddle up to easy class 3 runs then look around to maybe buy a newer boat design. I can tell you from decades of buying boats, if the outfitting is right, your problems are not the boat and buying a newer one is not gonna solve your problem. Get the basics down in that RPM before you go blowing money on new boats.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote