Help! I'm trying to buy a boat. - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-30-2008   #11

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj26 View Post
I'm just starting to kayak and I'm trying to find a boat that would be really good for a beginner. But I'd really like a boat that isn't a total play boat because I heard that you can't get knocked over very easy on the river. And for my first season I'd like to spend most of it right side up. But I want one that's pretty easy to carry and load. And fairly easy to roll and handle on the river. I'm not really sure what to look for. I'm about 5'6" or so and about 130-140lbs. I'm kind of clumsy and I don't want to have a really hard time getting it to the water. I want to buy a used one to make sure I really like it. I've taken lessons in an Pyranha H:3 but I think its just a little bit too big. I was in the pool and I just felt like there was so much kayak to move about and carry it. Is there anything someone might recommend? Or things to look for when buying one? Any help really would be great. I haven't really found anyone offering a lot of advice or thoughts about buying a new one. I live in Idaho and I'm really looking just to get the feel of it on the Payette river and Hell's Canyon as those are the ones I frequent most. If anyone has anything to share or insight, I'd love to hear it.
Sounds like you'd like a creek boat, they don't get grabbed as much and some are as light as 37#. I'm looking at the dagger mamba 7.5 as I weigh 130#. The embudo is a similar boat but very heavy to haul around. The mamba is a lot of fun , easy to roll and very stable. Ther are other creekers with similar characteristics, butr I dont know them.

303magaggi is offline   Reply With Quote