Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-03-2009   #1
Castle Rock, Colorado
Help for A Floaters Guide to Surviving Whitewater, second edition

Hi all, as some of you know I wrote a pretty good book on whitewater safety for the beginner. Anyhow the book was also to rip on some of my paddling buddy's as most all the pictures were of them swimming some class V rapid.
Anyhow this book needs some more content in the last chapter about real world situations that were scary and what you did to save your friends or yourself.
I am finishing the second edition, and if you have a great story that would benefit a paddler and wouldn't mind sharing please forward me your story. Pictures would be great as well.
No I wont be making any money from this book to speak of but I will include your name in the book and give you proper credit.
Thanks for any help... pphinman@yahoo.com

Phin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #2
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
One time in Gore Canyon we were paddling into Toilet Bowl and this girl (I won't mention her name, but it has more consonants than you would expect...) stopped paddling. She just stopped. I had to physically whoop her with my paddle to get her to paddle again. I broke her arm, just a little bit. Our guide (who will also remain anonymous, we'll call him "Taftus") started screaming "Paddle, dammit, paddle!" But all we could hear was "gurgle, gurgle." We didn't surf. We floated right out and drank some beer.

If that's not exciting enough you might want to get with Yakgrrl. She had a pretty harrowing experience this year. The thread is called "bout' lost my life the other day" and it has gnarly swimming, turkey legs, police, and horses in it.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #3
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
The Ranch, Colorado
Paddling Since: 04
I'll always remember my first trip down the Royal Gorge...
I dug up this link from our 2005 AAR post:
An Unusual Day in the Royal Gorge

If you're gearing towards beginners, the thing I distinctly remember that I think is important to convey to newbs is that you need to be conscious not just of who can rescue you if things go wrong, but whom you can rescue if things go wrong. I was totally not expecting to have to save a veteran paddler that day...
"self-aggrandizing jackass" - it says it right on the label
heliodorus04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Be sure to double or triple check any stories that come from the Buzzards. They're worse than fishermen sometimes with big fish stories- we'll call them "broken arm" stories instead.
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #5
4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Paddle Fishin'

What's Up Patrick!
Good to see that you are still at it. I missed you when you came through for the Upper this year, but I got the book, Thanks. You'll have to come down this season for some paddling, our snow is holding pretty well, though we really could use some more. Anyway, I have a pretty good tip/experience that you might like. This happened a couple of years ago on Lime Creek
Lime Creek is a beautiful low volume alpine creek in the San Juans, the window is short so when its running we try to make the most of it. The signature drop on Lime is Adrenaline Falls, a very narrow 25' falls that is not quite vertical and pretty much always sends you deep. This particular day we had a large group of 6. We had all run Adrenaline once and wanted to get another run in on it so we hiked back up to run it a second time. On my second run I did not get my paddle turned parallel to the falls in time. This happens a lot here, generally the paddle snaps in half or pops out of your hand and flushes down behind you. Well on this run it chocked in the rock and stayed there, tightly secured between the walls at the top of the falls. My hand roll failed me, I swam.
It has been my habit to replace the standard carabiner that comes with most tow tethers with a paddle biner, this allows you to rescue and ferry peoples paddles in difficult water without having to do the double paddle carry. In this situation we put the 'biner on the end of a throwbag, tied the gate of the 'biner open with the string from a noseplug, and carefully, fished my paddle out from the slot. It was not easy, took probably 20 minutes, but worked. Just one more reason to have a paddle 'biner with you.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009   #6
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by TakemetotheRiver View Post
Be sure to double or triple check any stories that come from the Buzzards. They're worse than fishermen sometimes with big fish stories- we'll call them "broken arm" stories instead.
My story is true. The girl whose arm I was forced to break just couldn't keep it together. I mean she froze up big time. Fortunately for her she's kind of a cougar so I'll probably keep boating with her!

Miss ya.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote