Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-30-2009   #1
glenwood springs, Colorado
Helmet Suggestions for an Intermediate Boater?

Hey!! After years of tackling the river and swimming (driving all my friends crazy) I finally have a combat roll -- well 50% of the time. However, I can't brace to save my life so I end up upside down a lot. What I lack in skill i more than make up for in bravery. Ready to upgrade from the worst helmet on the market to something that will keep an upside down boater's head safe. Any suggestions? The biggest water I've done is Shoshone in Glenwood Canyon, I'll stay at that until i'm much more confident ... I love the WW park in Glenwood but can't stay in the wave to save my life ... that's another story entirely. Thanks in advance!!

10grtkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #2
185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Sweet Rocker Fullface.

Seriously though, I would go with a WRSI. Affordable, Comfy and keeps your head from looking like the early 90's brain on drugs commercial. Hit up Alpine Quest Sports over by the wave

970-217-21 six six
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #3
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
buy the best full face possible. or better yet get that role down. its a little cheaper.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #4
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I moved up to a WRSI with the face guard a couple weeks back after my mouth met a rock in the river.

It's not super expensive and fits great, and now I don't have to worry about my grill when I flip.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #5
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I just got a Shred Ready TDub, and really like it. The low brim is great (except when walking up steep river banks since it blocks your view up a little bit). I was upside down in Lower clear creek and took a rock to the face. I think it would have been a lot worse in a helmet with less brim. I took most of it on the brim, and in the cheek. Sure a full face would have avoided the blow all together, but if a full face isn't for you the TDub is prolly your next best option (or maybe a Sweet). The HOG system in the Shred Ready's is also great. The low/large brim is also great on really sunny days. So thats my 2cents.
nmalozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #6
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Iwill second the WRSI and you can put a face mask on it that when not need you can just take off! It saved me a hit to the face on Dumont! You can also add side ear prtection if you are so inclined!
Normal is a setting on your washing machine!
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #7
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Ask yourself why you shouldn't get a full face. When you can't figure out a good answer, go out and buy one. I've come to really like the WRSI w/ face mask attachment. The Shred Ready full face is also a good deal. If you have deep pockets the Sweet Rocker may be the best, but I'm not sure if that's much better than the former options.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #8
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
cause im goofy looking thats my reason. tdub kicks ass. very solid. smoked a couple rocks with past shred ready helmets. good retention system thats comfortable and extra coverage for the temples. if you are ugly or goofy you don't really need a full face. just my hay penny worth of thoughts.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #9
Golden, Colorado
I looked at a WRSI the other day and was pretty surprised by the lack of interior padding. For how popular they are, and considering that their mission is to provide the best protection possible for a low price... I think that WRSI missed the ball on that one....as have most whitewater helmet manufacturers.

Cascade has the best interior padding out there and a flexible plastic shell that absorbs shock. You can get two different types of face coverage for a Cascade: cage or chin bar.

The only reason that more people aren't wearing Cascade is because they are the most unfashionable old-school looking thing out there. They haven't changed their mold in their long history and they really should because they look like COMPLETE shit. However, I love a Cascade for serious creeking.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009   #10
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Actually the WRSI has LOTS of padding - it's in layers and not obvious like most helmets - it is supposed to absorb shock better than the solid layer kevlar/carbon helmets with minicell foam.

Check out the exploded view: Whitewater Research and Safety Institute

Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote