Old 09-15-2010   #1
Kremmling, Colorado
Heads up Upper Colorado boaters!

Saturday, September 25th, is National Public Lands Day! The BLM in Kremmling needs volunteers with specialized skills for the Colorado River Cleanup. We need duckies, kayaks, and rafts to help clean the Colorado River between Pumphouse and State Bridge. We will clean out stone fire rings and pick up garbage, old tires and other debris in and along the river. The kayaks and duckies maneuver on the shoreline, putting their findings into the larger rafts to be carried down the river. All volunteers must have their own personal protection equipment and PFDs. Participants under 18 years old will need have a consent form signed by a parent. See the information below for details regarding registration, transportation and the barbecue after the event!

For you Anglers and land lubbers!
Volunteers are needed for the Wolford Area access trail. The trail provides access through Colorado State Trust Lands to BLM administered lands north of Kremmling. Trail work will include delineating the trail through fencing and logs with some tread and corridor maintenance to protect an endangered plant species. Participants should be prepared for all weather conditions and bring work gloves. This event location is County Road 22 in Kremmling. Driving from downtown Kremmling head east on US Highway 40 approximately one mile, then turn left onto County Road 22 where the BLM Kremmling Field Office is located. Event location is .25 miles up County Road 22.

Registration, Transportation to/from east Grand County, and Barbecue!
All volunteers will receive a National Public Lands Day T-shirt. Those who pre-register for the Grand County event or register at the YMCA Snow Mountain Ranch in Granby the day of the event will receive an additional T-shirt and goody bag. A van for transportation to either event location from and returning to the YMCA Snow Mountain Ranch is provided. If driving directly to Pumphouse Recreation Area or the Kremmling County Road 22 location, please be there by 8:30 am to register.
A volunteer appreciation party including dinner, live music and door prizes is held at the base of Sol Vista Lodge after the volunteer day. An appreciation barbecue with food and non-alcoholic beverages will be provided by the BLM at Pumphouse for those who will not be returning or going to the Sol Vista Ski Area!
For information or to register for either event call: (970) 887-4120 or (970) 724-3040. Or, visit the web at: for more details.

Teri_at_BLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Sounds like a great day. Any chance we could get the railroad to get into gore canyon and pick up some of the massive amounts of railroad trash in there like telephone poles, railroad parts etc. They create a significant hazard in the canyon, as well as an eyesore.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #3
Kremmling, Colorado
Would we get volunteers for a railroad cleanup?

I have made contact with a railroad person to ask about cleanup. If it were arranged next year, would I be able to tell her confidently that I'm sure the public boaters would help?
Teri Parvin
Rec Asst, BLM Kremmling
tparvin at
Old 09-23-2010   #4
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I would certainly help and would commit to finding at least 3 other people to help.

Josh Davis
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #5
Ashville North Carolina, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Gore Race & Gore Cleanup should be a joint venture...I say we could get at least 50 people to rig straps & chains to their train wrecks so they could hook up their strongest winches and drag that shit uphill...avalanches would be scary and could add some new class 5 features...
~Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I'd be down with helping. I'm sure a sizeable force could be garnered.
stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010   #7
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Teri, I'm sure the boating community would be glad to help out, I certainly will. I'd be happy to help organize as well.

Getting a rail car and a winch to help pull out the large debris is a great idea. The kayaking / rafting crews could go down river at river level and help rig up the debris to be pulled out. You could get a lot of junk out of there that way...

Best time of year would be around now when the water is low but before the snow. Maybe it could be set up for next year? It would be a great thing to give Gore canyon some TLC and get some of the railroad debris out.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010   #8
Kremmling, Colorado
Please send any pictures or descriptions of railroad trash

First of all, thank you very much for your feedback. Secondly, I heard back from the Railroad representative and she told me that the most effective way to be heard is to send a letter from the BLM. I would like to include pictures or text descriptions of the debris within the canyon and emphasize the safety issue.

I know it's not your goal in Gore Canyon to stop and take pictures of railroad trash, but if any of you happen to have pictures of the trash or would like to send your description of the debris or issues that you have had working around it, I would appreciate it. Perhaps you can look through your Gore Race pictures for debris in the background?

Please send all pictures and texts to my email listed in my signature below. Thanks!

Teri Parvin
Rec Asst, BLM Kremmling
tparvin at