Old 02-09-2010   #81
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Hey folks. Disregard my post from earlier. I've apparently been living in a cave and didn't see the incredibly good conversation that was already occurring. Well done friends.

Brian A

brian a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010   #82
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
Thanks Danny! You nailed it. We really can't afford to lose this bill. Think about it, Colorado doesn't have a Middle Fork of the Salmon. Almost all the most popular rivers in Colorado go through privately owned property. Do you really think private boaters are going to have a snowballs chance in hell getting access if this doesn't pass. The last time this happened on a river one of the best people in the business had to close his doors. Not because he lost in court, he just couldn't afford to keep fighting the legal battle. Every section of river I try to make a living on goes through private property at some point. The rafting industry can't compete with the kind of money these guys have, we need your support. You may not be a raft guide but I bet you know a couple. Now if only Trout Unlimited would man up and realize what's good for us all, best fishing I ever do is from a raft.

riojedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #83
Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Committee Hearing Passed Amendments

Here are the amendments passed at the House Judiciary Committee hearing for HB10-1188, on Monday, Feb 8, 2010 found at:

on page 277:

4 HB10-1188 be amended as follows, and as so amended, be referred to
5 the Committee of the Whole with favorable
recommendation: 67
Amend printed bill, page 4, after line 8 insert: 89
13 Reletter succeeding paragraphs accordingly.
15 Page 4, line 12, after "MEANS" insert "A SEGMENT OF".
17 Page 4, line 13, strike everything after "RUN" and substitute "DURING 2008
18 OR 2009.".
20 Page 4, strike line 14.
22 Page 4, line 24, strike "EATING; OR" and substitute "EATING. FOR
27 Page 5, line 8, strike "THOSE TERMS" and substitute ""LANDOWNER",
28 "INVITEE", AND "LICENSEE"" and add a comma after "13-21-115".
30 Page 5, line 9, strike "(5),".
32 Page 5, line 15, strike "OR".
34 Page 5, line 17, change the period to a semicolon.
36 Page 5, after line 17 insert:
Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010   #84
HB 1188 Second Reading This Friday With Amendments?

The Second Reading of HB 1188 is scheduled for this coming Friday, Feb 12, 2010 as found at the House Calendar:

which means, if you're going to contact Representative Curry about amendments, now'd be a good time to send 'em her way.

For those who want to amend so all water users are included, "all lawful activities", "all lawful recreational activities" or some such, rather than "all boaters" or "commercial and private boaters" or "all water users" or some such may be a good way to describe inclusion of all water users. That terminology may preclude setting up a policy of two classes, one for boaters and one for nonboaters, such as fishermen, in much the same way as setting up two classes, one for private interest commercial boaters and one for non-private interest commercial boaters.

If you do, choose your language carefully.

Just sayin'...

My guess is that the opposing interests to the bill will offer amendments favorable to their interest so fair's fair... now's the time to offer whatever you believe is favorable for the bill proponent's interest, if, that is, you figure amendment(s) should be made.

You've got the amended HB 1188 links posted in the above post.

Nothin' to it but to do it.
If you don't you won't and
If you do, you're through...
Old 02-10-2010   #85
Now For the Really Exciting Part!

For all of you who have been incurably interested in How a Bill Beomes a Law, here it is in full, well, almost full, color! :
Old 02-10-2010   #86
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I agree with riojedi and stinginrivers.

I am a commercial guide on the Taylor, I boat privately, and now and again I fish. I doubt that I am unique on this forum. I am guessing that most of you who have never guided have at least been on a commercial trip. I know that my first white water experience was on a commercial trip in West Virginia.

My point is that without the commercial guys many of us would not have had the opportunity to become boaters. Without this bill, commercial rafting will take a huge hit. It may not be this year or the next, but it will happen as one land owner after another shuts down sections of river. This argument is not just about weather or not commercial boaters will have a job this summer, it is about boating's future. It is about being able to continue to introduce people to the river sports that we all love.

Lets support this bill with or without amendments.

When it passes we as a river users can continue the fight started by CROA and Rep. Curry. There will be time later to open the rivers to whatever we want, but right now the commercial outfits need everyone's support.

PS : I was at the capitol on Monday and it was awesome to see so many people turn out and support the bill.
wild bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #87
HB 1188 Second Reading On House Floor Today, Thursday

Just learned a few minutes ago that HB1188 Second Reading is scheduled to be on the House floor now, today, Thursday, 2/11, instead of Friday 2/12/10. It's 10:50 am and should be up any moment right after HB1001 on Colorado Channel 165 on Comcast.

Or go to then --> Upcoming Events --> View Event
Old 02-11-2010   #88
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Have they had the first reading yet?
zboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #89
Buena Vista/Breckenridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
1188 will be heard tomorrow (Friday)--CALL/EMAIL YOUR REPS!

This just in--1188 has been pushed to tomorrow, Friday!

That means you have time to call your reps! Find your reps here and their contact info here COMaps: Find Your Elected District .

Also see a little more about the bill here Adventure Office

Please remember, this bill is good for all boaters.

Dear Outfitters & Friends: (2/10/10)

Quick Update and request for action: House Bill 1188 the River Outfitters Viability Act, to keep Colorado's rivers open for business NOW heads to the full Colorado State House of Representatives for a Vote.

Besides contacting your own representatives, please take a moment and make some quick phone calls to the key Legislators who will be voting on the House Floor later this week.

Ask them to vote YES on HB 1188.

Please distribute this request for action to your *lists* - staff, customers, friends and family.

Consider adding your own personal message to them... about your involvement, why you care and your need for their help and action right now.

All our futures to run Colorado rivers hangs in a balance.

Who to Call right now to Ask for their YES vote on HB 1188 is listed below!
Please contact me for additional information, Monica 970-417-8007,

HELP KEEP COLORADO RIVER'S OPEN FOR BUSINESS & FUN, YES on House Bill 1188, River Outfitters Viability Act

Please Call/contact these key Legislators below in support of HB 1188 Right Now!
( even if you are not in their district it's OK to contact them... we need to leave them lots of messages! )
Please ASK them to vote YES on HB 1188 : (phone calls into legislators is the #1 priority) [ if you have additional time send them a quick followup email ]

Key Legislators still on the fence:

Rep. Ellen Roberts, 303-866-2914, ( Archuleta, La Plata, Montezuma, San Juan counties)

Rep. BJ Nikkel 303-866-2907, (Ft Collins. Larimer)

Rep. Jim Riesberg 303-866-2929 ( Weld county)

Rep. Cheri Gerou 303-866-2582 (jeffco)

Rep. Frank McNulty 303-866-2936 (Douglas county)

Rep. Scott Tipton 303-866-2955 (Delta,Dolores,Montezuma,Montrose,Ouray,San Miguel counties)

Sample Phone script (and email) to legislator/s:

HI this is ____________ . (identify yourself, private boater, river enthusiast, business owner, or that you're employed by ____ business)

I would like to ask you to vote Yes on House Bill 1188 the Colorado River Outfitters Viability Act on the House Floor.

THIS legislation is crucial to keeping Colorado’s Rivers open for business and fun. I hope we can count on your vote for the future of river recreation in Colorado. This river running is an important sector of the tourism and outdoor recreation industry.

(Add a personal note about your perspective, business and why this is good for Colorado's economic future and or you local community)

Thank you _____ (leave ur name and #)

Background: Commercial river running contributed $142 million to Colorado’s economy last year and more than 500,000 people enjoyed our scenic rivers. Yet, the ability to provide commercial river running is under threat because out-of-state developers want to prohibit licensed river outfitters from providing trips on historically rafted rivers. The 2010 River Outfitters Viability Act protects Colorado’s tourism industry by clarifying the rights of commercial guides to operate on Colorado’s historically run rivers.

HB 1188 passed 7-3 out of the House Judiciary Committee on Monday 2/8/10 now it heads to the full Colorado House of Representatives for a vote. Call today!

We need your help to keep Colorado's river's open for business and fun

for more information and background please visit:
Colorado River Outfitters Association under membership

Additional action info at
Adventure Office

Monica Piergrossi
Western Voices Public Affairs & Media
AVAColoradoRafting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #90
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Several of the voice mailboxes are full... hopefully that's a good sign?

"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote