Old 05-19-2010   #571
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I've been reading intently this topic as have many of you since day one. Thanks to all who have committed so much time to make sure we all had a voice. It has just been awesome to watch.

After having watched the PBS hourly show, I'm convinced this will ultimately go to the courts. I'm not at all afraid of the legal system. It's not perfect, but it aims to be the ultimate level playing field where lobbying has little.... ok less influence.

It is my belief that we couldn't have drawn a better card for what WILL be an election battle, side agreements be damned. Think about it, the poster boy for the landowners isn't some 3rd generation rancher who is respected in the community but rather a wealthy developer from Texas of all places who has effectively kicked down the door and declared a new way of doing business. I swear for Coloradans, this might as well be a ballot measures against the Antichrist.

This is a debate on who owns a river. It's bigger than boating. The lobbying team for Mr. Shaw has a very, very difficult task of convincing all of the non-priviledged that the rivers and streams are not theirs. I don't see it selling too well, as it's just not the election year to be the "establishment". They know this.

Education is the best medicine. Let's keep working to make folks outside of the boating community aware of what's at stake.In the meantime, let's go boat with care like we always do. Best not to cause a stir in my opinion.

brian a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010   #572
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Click image for larger version

Name:	sheriff letter.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	570.7 KB
ID:	2661 Here is a letter the Gunnison County Sheriff put in this weeks Gunnison paper. I hope it will open. HB-1188 is dead, but this issue is not. I realize this forum has been quiet for a while, but please realize that the issue is not over. The Taylor is running good and anyone who would like to check it out get in touch with me. Floated the upper and middle yesterday, good level. Fishing should be real good here in a week or so. Later

outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010   #573
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
This is great to see. This affirms the Sheriff's adherence to the current status quo in Colorado as we have understood it, and goes on to state that incidental contact with the bed or banks as needed to continue travel will not be prosecuted. In addition the Sheriff lumps intentional obstruction of a waterway which can be legally floated in the same paragraph with cutting fences - a strong statement to landowners considering blocking rivers. Floaters lose nothing with Sheriff Murdie's policy and the clear, concise statement of the law on floating across private property can help set the tone for other law enforcement personnel.

One question I have is related to the "fishing on private property" item. Does this mean that if a float fisherman is fly fishing (without touching the bottom) as he passes through a location where the bed is private property, that's illegal? Or is this a reference to the obvious case of trespassing of a fisherman wade fishing and standing on the bank?

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010   #574
Crested Butte, Colorado
From what the Sheriff has said in the past, and not long ago to all of the landowners concerned in a Private meeting, fishing is not illegal. The owners of harmels even asked about people catching their fish and rowing to slow down or stay in eddies, the Sheriff told Roberts that once the fish hit the river they belong to the people, and as long as boaters dont anchor, or park on a rock, they are not breaking the law. I believe that he speaks of harrassing someone doing a legal activity, ie float fishing , would be considered illegal. Also, someone floating who harrasses a fisherman on private property would also be committing a crime. I intend to ask him these questions on Tuesday,since he stated he was willing to speak to any concerned party, and has spoken with me about other river issues. The Sheriff has taken the status quo stand, not illegal to float, dont get out, move on down stream. I still wonder his position on the obstructions, since he has stated we cant portage, but people cant block the river either. later
Old 06-02-2010   #575
CW letter to Gunnison Sheriff

FYI, letter sent by Colorado Whitewater to Gunnison County Sheriff Murdie.

YouSendIt: Online File Sharing and collaboration with FTP Replacement - Send Large Files and Email Attachments with Managed File Transfer Solution
gyrogyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #576
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
As I read it, the Sheriff's letter leaves me with more questions than answers. The bigger question is what will the DA do if say a trespass case is brought against a boater who portages around a man made obstruction, like a strand of barbed wire? I have a feeling we'll soon find out.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010   #577
Crested Butte, Colorado
Hello all, HB-1188 is dead.... New forum, Right to Float... Lets get it going!!!!!
Old 06-13-2010   #578
Crested Butte, Colorado
Yo, all who are watching, new buzz, cameras on taylor, by the way, Ill be fishing the middle tomorrow!!!!!!