Old 03-16-2010   #281
Stoner, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
I understand that all rivers are not included currently. I was saying that is the last critical thing lacking and it can be changed with simple and logical wording. I agree that a "regulated trip" is pretty vague too.

That is great if the incidental contact verbage (which it should be termed) includes portaging in a dangerous situation.

Ikedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #282
Arvada (Denver), Colorado
Did I mention "boatFISHING"?

Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
That's the thing - a "waterway" is defined as JUST commercial guided segments of rivers. Guide was redefined to basically include anyone guiding a craft (public or private) on "waterways". Doesn't cover any segments not guided commercially.

I would love to have a list of oft-used and well-know segments of rivers that are not covered by this definition. Suggestions (Boulder Creek, the St. Vrains, Big Thompson...)?
Lower Blue, read: Blue Valley Ranch.

Gee, I wonder if they know about this bill? Oh, wait. An associate of Ryley, Carlock and Applewhite, BVR's law firm, I believe, representing Cattleman's, testified as the second opposition expert at the hearing last night.

The law firm is also listed, I believe, as a lobbyist.

Anyone think they'd proceed with civil trespass?

Oh. Another flash of blinding light... Hey, all you boatfishermen, since it is written that boat fishermen can't, in any way, have fishing incidental contact, does anyone think they'll charge a boat fisherman, fishing from the boat, for fishing with a Slumpbuster that has fishing incidental contact?

Did I mention boatFISHING using actual hooks and weights that incidentally touch bottom? But, wait. Noone would be that crass to pursue charging boatfishermen with committing civil trespass simply because you're using Hare's Ears that touch bottom so that they could keep boatfishermen out of their ranch area, would they? Naaaahhhhhh...

Suppose maybe amend Page 4 lines 21 and 22 of Reengrossed HB 1188:

That one word, "fishing", exposes boat fishermen, a reasonable portion of private boaters, to civil trespass.

How many boaters are going to float through that river segment or similarly undefined segments, toss a Woolly Bugger into The Deep and risk civil trespass because of how the bill (or law) is currently written?

For starters, amend to exclude the word "fishing", as an exclusionary term, from the bill.

Ole Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #283
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
Seems the Cattlemen make as much or more money from Colorado's fish as they do from cows. That's what this is really all about for the Cattleman's Association. Profiteering from Colorado's fish paid for by the rest of us license purchasers across the state.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Theophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #284
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I just got the chance to catch up on everything that has been posted to date, I have not had a chance to read the bill. I think everyone should understand, no matter what the language in the bill, this is only the beginning. I hope this bill passes, but even if it does it is not the end. The opposition has promised to sue the State of Colorado should this bill pass. If it doesnt pass, the boating community is not going to just step down and say "O.K. the rivers belong to you, we will go somewhere else" At least, I WON'T!! This will not end until we have a ballot initiative put to the people of Colorado to decide if the rivers belong to the people or individuals. When this happens, the landowners who oppose this bill will wish that they supported it and kept their mouths shut!! Im done for now, good nite. JB
outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #285
Pro private boater editorial in Denver Post

From today's (3.17) Denver Post.

Smoother sailing for Colorado rafting bill - The Denver Post
gyrogyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #286
Denver via GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
What always gets me regarding the opponents stance on this is the "causing damage" comments. They make us sound like vandals carrying a can of spray paint. Most of us have an environmental code well beyond what they will own up to. About the only damage I can think that typically gets caused is a foot path, which if they are fishing they likely already have.

I can't think of a time where I have damaged anything besides myself or my craft. Anyone else?
"I plan to leisurely advance through my existence" - Terry Fuhrman 1991
-k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #287
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
I have seen lots of damage by fishermen and boaters. 99% of us probably clean things up more than we damage, but it's the 1%. See the thread about the numbers and the guy who lives by #5. I know that if I lived along a river, I wouldn't want people deficating on my property and cutting down my trees. We need to actively police each other.
Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #288
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
I think we all know that responsible rafting does little to no damage to the ecosystem.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #289
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
the landowners suck
"shut up and paddle, and paddle like you mean it for once"

double-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010   #290
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by double-H View Post
the landowners suck
"Out of the mouths of babes"... most of us agree, Henry, we just can't say it that way.

"There is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Look here! If you've really nothing else on hand this morning, supposing we drop down the river together, and have a long day of it?" -Wind in the Willows
TakemetotheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote