Old 03-15-2010   #221
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
AWESOME!!!! How do we find out what the bill looks like now?? I am dying to find out about the amendments.

outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #222
Stoner, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Yes, That is good news. I'm also curious about the private/commercial boater aspect. Was anything changed with that. I personally like the new language "incidental contact".

Ikedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #223
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I just talked to my buddy at the capitol, all is good, now we go to the full senate. I still would like to see just what the language is, but in reality, this bill is just the beginning, it will be amended, tweeked, and tested in court. We still have the right to float, as public boaters, any river we want. This bill stops very wealthy land owners from running our river outfitters out of business with civil lawsuits all because they have enough money to do it. I guess if they sue me they can have my boat!! Ill find another one, no worries!! Good Night.
outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #224
Gak. I'm home at last drinking and doing my census form. EVERYONE DO THE CENUS. Cenus = $$. That's the reason.

The final bill with amendments should be up at the Capital General Assembly website by, hum, tomorrow. Then everyone can parse what it means.

There were some trade offs; we anticipated it would be likely we would lose the full right to portage, but think we have some other language that helps there anyhow.

We will need a full court press on the Senate floor, but not right away.

BTW; CW and AW *were* top hands. Agree with @mjpowhound. Excellent time to become a member - because I know there was nothing in CW's budget for this. Thanks.
gyrogyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #225
@outbackjack. general strategy will be to hold the committee version on the senate floor and then get the house to agree to senate version.
Old 03-15-2010   #226
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Thanks Dede for all the work you've put into this. It was good to see you, Mark, Nathan, and Jeff down there, along with all the other folks from CW & CROA. I wish I could've stayed for all the "Pro-HB1188" testimony. It was still really interesting listening to the opponents' arguments. My personal highlight was hearing the Cattlemen's Association representative earnestly testify about how great their environmental stewardship is for riparian areas and that boaters would wreck the environment - I got woozy and thought I'd been magically transported into some weird, upside-down alternate universe.

I've been hounding both my legislators to support HB1188 for the last few weeks. Please let us know when the optimum time is to continue our full-court press with them.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010   #227
AH we'll keep everyone in the loop. But for a few days - my crazy day job - healthcare reform - might need some attention.
Old 03-16-2010   #228
River users gain ground as Senate advances bill on access

Read more: River users gain ground as Senate advances bill on access - The Denver Post
Old 03-16-2010   #229
Littleton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Good news - the bill passed through committee, 4-3. As predicted, Sen Hudak cast the deciding vote, only after a few minutes of personal deliberation that had everyone on the edge of their seat.

As mentioned, the bill was amended to include private boaters as well. It was kind of funny to hear the opposition testifying about being blindsided by the amendment after they testified in the House Judiciary Hearing that the bill was unconstitutional because it excluded private boaters. The testimony from the opposition was more of the same dis-connected logic and fear mongering of which they've become so fond.

I wanna thank all who worked to get the bill amended, and thank Greg Felt from Ark Anglers for his excellent testimony.

On the other hand, I have to wonder who's bright idea it was to have Lori Potter testify. She knows the issues and the law, but is definetly lacking in the public speaking skills. It was painful to watch her yammer and stammer through her testimony and respond to questions from the panel. We're going to need a better mouthpiece in the future.
slavetotheflyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010   #230
West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Thanks to all that helped yesterday. It was long, but very interesting to listen to. I listened to the opposing side, but my internet connection was having problems when listening to the proponents information.

Many of the speakers opposed to HB1188 suggested working on hand shake solutions versus approving this bill. However, with guys like Shaw and the Harmel operation, the hand shake solution seems impossible.

It seems to me that many of the ranchers are just as scared as boaters to push the issue to a ballot vote or supreme court ruling. As much as land owners want to kill this bill, I can see why some of the land owners are worried about this escalating beyond this bill. Many of the supporting decision points are not on the land owners side:
  • Common Law Navigability rights
  • Colorado Constitution stating the public owns our water, rivers, streams, and water ways
  • Other states with high water mark law as the standard or more liberal ruling on floating rights through private property
  • Land owners are way out numbered by the shear number of people wanting access
  • Tourism revenue
  • and the weak Emmert case that they want to use as the precedent
I found this web page a pretty comprehensive overview of the issue: comments on Floating Colorado rivers/The-legalities-of-Floating-on-Colorado-waters.htm

Who knows what would happen if this escalates beyond this bill? It could be bad for either side, but I would think the right to float would win, I hope. Maybe, it is time to fight this out for once and for all, if this bill does not go through, as this is only going to escalate, if left undecided.

Chief Niwot is offline   Reply With Quote