Old 12-15-2010   #1
N/A, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2010
Hawaii Creeking

Hey Buzzards,
I just applied to the University of Hawaii considering it's the same price as where I go to school now I might as well take the opportunity to live in Hawaii for 3 years and come back to Colorado when boating season is starting.

Just wondering if anyone has done any creeking out there, I did find a picture in the gallery that looks pretty good.

This mustache has a weight limit!
NathanH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #2
Arvada, 80003
Paddling Since: 2002
Search out Kevin Dombey. He is a Steamboat kid, not sure he still boats, but he goes/went to University of Hawaii. That is who you want to talk to.

"Ain't a single rock in this river that can stop us!" Slug
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #3
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to CFlem18
Don't know if you have checked out the AW page (American Whitewater - HI State Rivers).
Maybe try contacting the people who posted the photos and comments.
Most of the creek runs there have only been first d'ed within the last few years and whitewater boaters may be hard to find on the islands.
Also might want to look into getting a fiberglass surf kayak for the epic surf to be had.

On a side note...check out some schools down in New Zealand, just got back from studying abroad there. Similar terrain, year round whitewater, EPIC creeking, student visas are really easy to get, and it costs about half as much as out of state tuition in the US
CFlem18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010   #4
Overseas, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

IM me and I'll put you in touch with someone.
eljim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010   #5
FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
What??? Get out in the ocean! take advantage of the difference between HI and CO.
sarahkonamojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
The water action in Hawaii is mainly in the ocean. Land based paddling on creeks and rivers is mostly a novelty and has minimal local scene (if any). People have paddled wiamea canyon and I talked to some guys who ran the seven sacred pools at high flow, but these were paddlers from elsewhere checking Hawaii out.

Much of Hawaii is very steep with tons of tiny creeks. Think 100 ft+ falls with 20 cfs that land on rocks and you will get the picture.

With that said, if you are a solo creek mission explorer who is into hiking and running stuff no one else has, you could probably find some interesting stuff in hawaii.

Sounds like a lot of work when you have world class waves in the ocean. I think I'd take up surfing or kayak surfing if I were in hawaii.

If you are going there for school, you get get waves all school year long, and come back to the mainland to paddle every summer. Sounds like a lot of fun.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010   #7
Indian Hills, Colorado
+1 for NZ. University of Otago. Great school, great campus.

Hawaii would be great too, but you can always go to Hawaii. NZ when you're young!
DanOrion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010   #8
Golden, Colorado
If I had the opportunity to go from boat/paddle/spray skirt/helmet/pfd/booties/drytop/pogies/fleece/skullcap/splashpants/throwrope to board/boardshorts for three years I would take it.
blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010   #9
Golden, Colorado
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Surfing is just about the hardest sport out there and if you get a chance to live near a beach and are athletically inclined then it would be a sin not to learn to surf. Especially in a warm water location. Surfers in warm water locations advance more quickly than cold water surfers. It is just easier to surf without a wetsuit and you can get in a lot more water time when in warm water. This is your chance! Surfing is it.

That place is crowded as it is and a kayaker in the water with other surfers is like a turd in a punch bowl. You could kayak surf there but if I were you I'd limit it to crappy days when the surf is small and blown out and there are no surfers in the water. When the surf is good you need to be on a surfboard.

Get a big beginner surfboard and stick to the beginner's spots... and surf with respect. You'll love it.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010   #10
Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I graduated from UH Manoa and lived on Oahu for 5 years... I was'nt into boating when I went to school there but I was really into bodyboarding, bodysurfing, and scuba diving. I took up boating when I moved to colorado because I was deprived of any watersports.

If you are going to UH Manoa, I cant think of anything on Oahu with enough water to boat and Ive hiked all over that island. Ive never seen a whitewater boat there, traveling to the big island, maui, or kauai with your boating gear would be difficult and expensive as the only viable option for transportation is by plane... I have seen more and more kayak surfers on recent trips. In short Id recommend leaving your kayaking gear at home and buying a bodyboard and fins as soon as you land, if you get bored with bodyboarding progress into surfing...

UH Manoa is a great place to go to school. Hawaii is the most culturally diverse place I have seen in the U.S., and the opportunities for outdoor adventure are incredible there.

afox is offline   Reply With Quote