Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-19-2008   #21
DURNAGO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997

SAVEMEBOATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008   #22
dirty hippies

I rode cross country with my mountain bike towing a trailer I made. Here's how I would approach what you want:

First, forget pvc. I think it will break apart after too many miles. Flexing causes fatigue, and it will eventually give way.

I chopped an old bike frame just in front of the seat post and cut the crank tube in two to provide just the back triangle. Install this backwards with a long axle as the hitch. It will swivel up and down, and with u-bolts you can attach it to whatever you like (I used an old metal cooler) and get side-to-side swiveling. I had more energy than $$.

For wheels, consider the front fork as a center tire (I ran a single fork from a little dirt bike straight off the back), or two welded together.

Also, think about attaching the boat to the bike with some sort of bracket from the seat post, using just a set of wheels that mount from the other end of the boat. I've seen a set that will go in the boat (when boating) for towing on trails for hike access. Use the boat as a frame for this system.

If you have ? pm me. I did this sort of thing a long time ago when I was a dirty hippie, but I might be able to scan a photo (not sure I want to face my dirty hippie past...). The kid trailer isn't a bad choice, but might be more trailer than you need to pull if you put some thought into it.

"Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at
one end and no sense of responsibility at the other."

- Ronald Reagan
mike a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #23
gypsy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 02
this is, was one of the best winters on record f*ck carbon footprint i bought a bigger truck
BAER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #24
I'd have to second that kid hauler modification. I've got the same old trailer, and have used it without the additional length a few times. works pretty well, but the boat hangs too far off the back and if you get off the bike goes shooting up into the air!! still worked for getting to Boulder creek from S. Boulder, but I'll be lengthening the tongue this year!!

Livingston-- I've been thinking about a sidecar flatbed myself, if you have any bright ideas, I've got a ton of aluminum and some beginning plans for a flexicar!!!

I've also once just strapped the boat on the side of the bike, with the cockpit over the luggage rack and the bow curve alongside my leg. it actually didn't throw the balance off much at all, but I bet the wind could be a bear... just went around the block that time, but it had some promise...

I also would not bike my boat up 14, but I won't ride a road bike anywhere
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008   #25
Denver, Colorado
$118/barrel record today.

this is, was one of the best winters on record f*ck carbon footprint i bought a bigger truck
Some people think with their brains, others their wallets; way to fight conformity and do neither.
"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008   #26
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I'm not sure how it's connected to the bike, but it would work as a "sidecar" too....
BikePortland.org Blog Archive Photo of the Day: Kayak biking
bwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008   #27
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ya the kid trailer idea is a great one, the PVC I have realized over lots of beers thinking about it will not work great, over time it will fall apart, and there is not a great way to attach the wheels without killing structural strength. If anyone sees a BOB trailer on Craigs for 100 let me know, I'll even give you a tasty 6pack as a finders fee. Anyway, stay posted for the picture of what I come up with, it will be soon as river time is here!! Who knows my racks on my bike can hold over 140 lbs, maybe I'll just bungie everything on!!

P the K

Ronto's Folly
Paul the Kayaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008   #28
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
rick d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008   #29
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Bike trailers and such

I saw a Burley bike trailer with all the nylon enclosures in a guy's trash pick up and asked if I could have it. Removed the nylon lengthened the tongue by replacing it with a piece of 1" EMT,(electrical conduit), and cam strapped my play boat onto it. It worked ok and was cheap. This is a strong man's transport and I am weak. Remember, "We are the problem. Global warming is the solution."
Preston Preble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008   #30
Denver, Colorado
At $129/barrel today and Estes Park hit $4.01/gallon.

"I think I handled my alcohol pretty well considering how drunk I was." -Cousin Dan
Livingston is offline   Reply With Quote