Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-08-2012   #1
Tahoe City, California
Paddling Since: 2000
Havasupai aren't allowing rafters to hike up Havasu

Thats totally lame!! They say they aren't allowing it because people weren't paying. Now they have nobody paying. Were as before, they had alot of people paying and a few sneaking in. I doubt if they're going to enforce this no entry rule from the col. river side.

jcilmi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #2
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
It's their land - what little they have left after the white people invaded this land, they can do as they please.

I find your post ironic since white people were originally not welcome but took over the country and are now complaining about not being able to visit the minute area still left to the people who lived here before us for thousands of years.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #3
., .
Paddling Since: .
Jen Jen Jen Jen !!
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #4
cedar city, Utah
How did you come by this information? None of the classic GC boating sources are listing the closure yet. If so....

Can't blame them. When people don't cooperate the next option is compliance. How would you handle it if people were constantly using your property illegally?

As for the money issue....I doubt they made much money from these river permits. I assume they make a ton more money from top down hikers, helicopter tours, etc.
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #5
Hiked up to Beaver Falls in late April and there was someone there charging to hike above. It's their land, they can do what they want!
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #6
cedar city, Utah
No updates on NPS site or official Havasupai website:

Official Website of the Havasupai Tribe
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #7
Idaho Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
So from my little experience (one trip) we hiked up to beaver falls...no one was there collecting money or anything and we could have continued. This was early April. We were planning to hike the whole way but decided not to anyways. We tried to contact them about a permit beforehands and weren't able to reach anyone. When I asked the NPS about this, they said that was normal so if we hiked all the way up, just carry the $35 on us and if we bumped into a ranger, just pay them then. If not...
glcasson21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #8
Tahoe City, California
Paddling Since: 2000
Just talked to Havasupai Tourist Office. With the hopes of paying to enter their land while on a raft trip on GC. The women said they are not allowing ANYONE to enter the Havasupai land from the col. river side. I can respect that it IS their land and they CAN do what they want with it. After doing a trip into Havasupai Village from the other end (the rim down). I can tell you they don't have as much respect for the land as you may think. Many of the houses in the village yards are covered with candy wrappers, soda cans, and every type of rubbish imaginable. They are good people no doubt. But it seems unreasonable for them to deny rafters the chance to visit this amazing place. Especially when people are willing to pay the $35 or how ever much it is. It seems like most rafters are only going to hike as far as Beaver falls anyway. Much farther then Beaver falls takes almost an entire day. So if anyone else has been in there recently...can you post your experience as far as being able to access the havasu creek. From the mouth where you tie up rafts on up to as far as you hiked. THX.
jcilmi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #9
I went to Beaver falls in may and did not see any one except some hikers coming down. As soon as I got so the reservation the land was noticeably more over used. It is a beautiful place even with the over use of there land.
luke c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012   #10
Farmington, Utah
Paddling Since: 2009
Neither I nor my family stole from natives, but yet I constantly get accused of being a land thief. Racism is wrong on either side of the fence, and there are many natives that blame whites as a whole for their problems. I have many native friends. Some are like that, and some aren't. When it comes down to it no river should be blocked from access.

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote