Old 08-13-2011   #11
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
R/H camps

Did a three day last week. There seems to be some new numbering at Black Rocks from years past (what used to be #9-big beach, is now #10) A few things: BR#4 is trashed from the high water but #5 looked good. # 6 was really nice looking as well. Might be the current best camp at BR.
#7 has a great swimming hole and a bit removed from other camps but a smallish port for boats. #8 is a piece of shi# camp and literally full of shi# as some people who stayed there last weekend left bags of crap and trash. This is EXACTLY why there needs to be a permit system down there for camping. If the BLM knows your name you might be more inclined to carry a groover and take care of the place. Anyway, Camp #9 is nice but is really close to #10 so plan on company if you are at either one of these. What used to be the big #9 camp is now divided into #9 and #10 as best as I can figure. Up above, the 1st cottonwood camp was nice as well as the lower cottonwood. The ones in between look adequate but nothing special. There is lots of new BLM signage at the Ruby/Horsethief camps and I would recommend making notes so when the permit system takes effect you've done your homework and can get a nice camp. There are a few new camps below Knowles that look alright too.
I've been boating R/H for over 25 years and think the permit system is a good thing. Keep putting pressure on the BLM for a R/H only takeout ramp at Westwater. In fact, looked like surveying was going on when we took out last week.

kwagunt2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011   #12
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
There is a thread already on the renumbering, post info there too??

SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote