Old 04-30-2011   #11
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Bottom of your foot is a bad place. I wouldn't do it until you are sure the wound is healing enough to keep out the water. Also, what if for some reason you have to get out of your boat? Doesn't sound like fun to me.

kclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #12
Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Good advice above. The sole of your foot is a bad place to get an infection. I have not paddled with stitches, but I have surfed with them. I used "water proof" bandages and lots of tape. I found that when I pulled them off the wound had opened despite the care I had taken. And this was on my face-an area not submerged very much. Think about how nasty your booties probably are and all of the little goonies living in there just. Ask yourself what is waiting five to ten more days compared to the wait you will have if you get a bad infection.

Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #13
bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
OK...I took your advice and played "shuttle bunny" today...I got some great photos of everyone else playing and having fun so they were pretty happy to have me on the sidelines. It was hard enough hiking around with stiches so you can say it now...I TOLD YOU SO
P.S. The surgery was to remove a suspect lump off the bottom of my foot. It has been sent to pathology but I am sure it is nothing! Positive thinking.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #14
castle rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
In the future I would say put super all over it then a water proof bandage. That is that I did and it worked great. But it is always smart and better to play safe.
dograft83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #15
Plano, Texas
Paddling Since: 1980
Allowing your body adequate time to properly heal itself is the best investment you can make in your future health & well being. Stitches or sutures serve two functions, they close the skin to prevent infection but more importantly compensate for the skin's loss of tensile strength that results from a surgical incision or traumatic laceration. Unfortunately, they do not replace 100% of the skin's tensile strength; the percent is a function of both the suture used and the type of stitch. Moreover, there is a permanant "weakness" along the scar line even after the wound has healed. Scar tissue is not as strong as intact skin. This is why Paul B's wound opened up (dihescence) even though the dressing wasn't compromised.
So, do right by the person you will be in the future, give yourself the time you need to heal. You'll heal faster and your body will thank you for that by performing better than if you hadn't. Go with your body's natural flow.
h2ocst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011   #16
Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
I have paddled with stitches a couple of times. He is a nice guy, but I still don't understand how he got his nickname...sounds more like the name of my grandma's cat.
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #17
Bailey,Vanbydriviera, CO, CO/ bingyomoney
Paddling Since: 2004
Good call, I have paddled with stitches, staples, casts, knee immobilizer, etc. I have also been afflicted by mild staph on several really has to be worth it, I may have killed myself if I didn't paddle those days....damned if you do, damned if you don't. Crazy glue and gorilla tape work good, I keep em on me always.
"Those who are willing to trade security for freedom deserve neither."-Ben Franklin
badswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #18
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
To all you monkeys getting silly w crazy glue- DO NOT completely seal the wound!

Yes, crazy glue works. But, if you make a full closure you trap all the badness in there. You simply cannot get it clean enough to fully close. Infection 100%, every time.

Never get out of the boat
MountainMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #19
Gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Watch out for the time right after you have the stitches removed. My dad had his taken out on his arm right before running the Yampa last year. The first day paddling down the river the wound tore back open. We gave him 40 new stitches at Anderson Hole and his rowing was done for the trip. If he had left them in for the extra week he would have had no problem.

If the stitches are fresh, try and keep it out of the water. If you are going on a week long trip and they are due to come out because the wound is healed, leave them in a little longer and take them out at the end of the trip. This is especially important if the stitches are holding together a surgical procedure. Sharp scalpel cuts take longer to fuse together than trauma wounds.
BackCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011   #20
pnw, Washington
Yep, I used crazy glue to close a flapper on a climbing trip and it worked but I knew it couldnt be smart.

"Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself." -Rumi
gh is offline   Reply With Quote