Old 12-11-2009   #11
Whitewater Boater, Boating Whitewater
Paddling Since: 2004
Sounds like NIMBY to me.

This is a pretty petty issue in the grand scheme of oil production and environmental effects. The road was built to facilitate commerce and military movement, not our trips to the river. I imagine that every time they resurface the road, as much oil ends up in the river as a tractor trailer dump, perhaps even 100x or 1000x more (why do you think the roads go from black to grey).

We demand this stuff when we drive to the river, heat our homes, power our homes and buy sporty yellow rafts. Some of us use alternative energy, but typically this only reduces our footprint slightly (still good and I am one of them).

I assume concerns of what "might" happen near the river pale in comparison to what is happening at the drilling sites from Fracking. Check out drilling effects in Garfield County CO or San Juan County NM (both NIMBY) and let me know if you still feel trucks driving down a road are a big deal.

I wonder how many over medicated boaters have dumped their leaky, unmaintained cars in there over the years? I assume at least a couple and they still let us drive there.

Just trying to keep things in perspective. Keep acting locally.

yakrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009   #12
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by phlyingfish View Post
Lhowe, can you link the Idaho story? The frac rigs I've seen aren't as big as you're describing, but maybe I'm not thinking of the right equipment. The stuff I've seen in WY is a little longer than a typical trailer and a bit taller. Seems like there was a lot of roadwork on the lower stretch of the Lochsa this Fall. Maybe they were prepping for the big trucks.

Are you sure that semis don't use that road in the winter? I think there was a story about an avy putting a truck in the river a year or two ago. Or was that a late season avy once they opened it back up to truck traffic?
The Lewiston Trib doesn't give free web access to their stories, so the text is below.

I'm not 100% sure that the truck traffic goes to completely zero in the winter, but I know it goes way, way down.

Crazy enough with that thought in mind, the latest word from the IDT guy is that they are planning on doing it in the winter, as the Canadian officials won't allow it in the summer. Canada wants it to happen on frozen ground, which likely is better for less damage to the roads. It is also a time that there'll be less impact to the usual users of the road during the tourist seasons, and thus the quantity of traffic they'll impact. And yes, it sounds as if the company has been the source of funding to some of the improvements, hopefully they'll follow through afterwards with damage repair. Unfortunately, the companies usually make sure it works for them, and then move on.

So for now it's just a bit of double information, green light, not approved, who knows. It likely is already being pushed through at the Federal Government level and will go through token public invovlement. However, transparent government works best when the public is watching and working, and the best time to include accomodations is early during the planning stages, which it sounds like they are at now.

I'll probably just post update from now on on the Idaho group as I find out more information.

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote