Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-25-2006   #11
I've also heard Cherry Creek stretch of the Tuolomne(sp?) or maybe Forks of the Kern?

poudreraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #12
Well it is subjective. But everytime this comes up. Russel Fork and Cherry Creek seem to aways win out. However as Scott pointed out some rivers kill more than others. Gore may be harder but more people die on High water Animas than on Gore. sj

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #13
russel fork is hard but dangerous- lots of undersuts and a fair number of rafting fatalities given the few weekend it runs. I'd say Upper Yough is probably more technical than it and definitely more so than Forks of the Kern, and probably less dangerous. Never got on Cherry Creek to compare, but all of these are harder than Section IV.
cdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #14
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1999
Send a message via AIM to JCKeck1
In talking with a friend who's guided all of these execpt the russel fork, he says cherry creek hands down over the fu, gore, and definitely sec IV. I didn't even know the fork was commercially guided though....damn. Sec IV doesn't count just because it's killed lots - I'd bet browns has killed more, but it's a numbers game.
JCKeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #15
sorry boys, but ya'll is fuckin wrong! don't know about worlds most dangerous commerical run but colorado and the usa's top scary commercial shit is the v's on clear creek.
if i'd known it was gonna be that kinda party...
oopsiflipped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006   #16
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Different things being discussed here - hardest, most dangerous, and scariest are all different. But, I would vote Russell Fork or CC of the Tuolumne for all three.

Gore, Clear Creek...I'd rather swim either of these than the Russell Fork or even certain drops on Sec. IV. People used to think the Gauley was soooo dangerous because of the prolific undercuts, but the fact is, if you stay in the main flow of almost every rapid there, you're gonna be fine. I think you have to look at the margin for general error, the margin for recovery from those errors and the consequences for bad mistakes, and Gore and Black Rock are serious water, but they just don't hand out death like a bad move or swim in a rapid like Fist or Crack-in-the-Rock.

Join up, suckas.

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
- Soren Kierkegaard
Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote