Old 09-03-2011   #1
fat guy in a little boat
FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
Hanging Lake TakeOut Beta Plz!!

OK buzzards, I need some info!!
I'm thinking about a float trip down the Upper C, and kinda wanted to go all the way up to the put in for Barrel Springs.

-I've never stopped at Hanging Lake, and am wondering if there's an established take out there when coming down from Dotsero.
-Is the parking lot on river right?? (I sure don't wanna have to ferry across between the dam and upper death!!)
-Would said parking lot be above or below the dam??
-Do the keepers of said dam (it backs up water for the tunnel to shoshone power plant, right??) have any of the riverbank fenced off around there??
-I've heard hanging lake only has an exit off the highway if you're going eastbound, is that true??

Thanks in advance for any and all info anyone might have for me!!

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #2
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Hanging Lake only has East bound access and leaving hanging lake you have to go Westbound but can turn around pretty easy at Grizzly Creek. As for a take out well obviously going through the damn would be a big no no and then you have upper death right about 50-100 yards below that. It is very calm above the dam and taking out there I guess technically could be done as the water is not moving fast enough to pull out at any point and the paved path that takes guests to the hanging lake trail is wide enough for a boat to be carried but you would have to be hiking the thing over rocks as there is no actual takeout that I know of. Not to mention whether or not it is legal. The parking lot is on river right and it is above the dam

So again technically I guess its possible and feasible but I do not know if I would suggest it

Dalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011   #3
Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: '92
From the canyon entrance to the dam would be like rowing on a lake with a headwind.
"We're gonna need a bigger boat"
CBrown is offline   Reply With Quote