Old 06-15-2012   #41
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'll never forget my first time on castle creek/slaughterhouse/ upper fryingpan. It was well within my comfort zone even though they were all crankin, and it was a class below what I generally enjoy paddling. Having never done any of these runs previously and having good water levels led to an awesome day(self guiding). Sometimes just seeing new horizon lines will get you to start focusing a little better.

Definitely some good info to work off on this thread. The way I look at it is you are the one that gets back in the boat, reflects on your experience, and decides where you would like to go from here.

Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #42
x, x
Paddling Since: x
All great advice, I appreciate it.

Nathan, it would seem that i have a problem with holes named after colored houses, so if anyone would chime in on the location of yellow house hole and green house hole, i will work on my primary house hole colors, then move on to orange and purple etc...

thank you KSC, sarah, brian, jonny, k, mhelm, logan. all great advice that i need to engrain into my paddling. I am glad to have so many people help to remind me of the positive things that will keep me centered and paddling well into old age.

brian, i agree with you. i feel like class 4 is like pac-man after a few level advances. the courses arn't too much tougher but the speed is like whoa the first.

logan, I agree with your advice, and do try to get on as many different rivers as i can. That is a great way to know that any class 3-3+ run be it big water or creek continuous or pool drop in any state or country. I do feel like i can safely navigate these runs and it is great exposure.

I am not in ahurry, or maybe i am. I am 33 years old. I feel like i have only so much time to get comfortable with class 4-5 before age takes over and i become more reserved. I am not trying to be young and reckless, I just want to make up for the years i did not paddle as a youth and am looking to gain as much experiance as safely as i can before i turn 40.

It is not about age, I just want to make up for all the years i did not kayak and was rather hoping to be a solid class V mortal paddler, i have no dreams of doing what these guys do today, maybe dreams. but just to get there and live out a decade as a class V boater would be more than enough, then i can go into my 50's and 60's boating gore and bailey happily, because i have the years and knowledge.

I'll get there, just takes time.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #43
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Originally Posted by JDHOG72 View Post
It's no secret that Nate had been trying to hook up with me for years. Who could blame him? I only let him hang around me so he will carry my boat up OBJ. But Kevin you know my affinity towards sheep
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
Hell, I've been watching JD and Crazy Nate battling the sexual tension between them for several years and it's uncomfortable to witness (but so electric). Just don't take it out on your boating.
You know what Kevin...I have run some shit...full decent of Gore at 5,350...Lake Creek...Lumbsten falls...blind...Gilman like 40 times...Black Canyon...Gore around 100 times...but you suck one dick...and your gay the rest of your life...for your information I was wearing a skin to skin it wasn't everybody knows that JDHOG puts out if you carry his boat...

Bob, sounds like you might need some help with your mental game...I wouldn't know anything about that...
Crazy Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #44
The best thing you could do is quit your job and paddle a ton of days in a row or move somewhere with a longer season. Okay fine, This isn't too realistic and maybe I am just pissed about the lack of water, but It seems like the best boaters I know have gone on a boating sabbatical away from colorado. Don't get me wrong CO is a great place to kayak, but it seem like as soon as you are progressing, the water is gone. Maybe you can even plan a trip or two to the northwest during the winter to keep you fresh. It takes me a solid 10 outings each summer before I feel like I am confident enough to take on harder runs. Make sure you don't jump into things until you are feeling it. (Edit: Low Water Rant)

Also, Class V should not necessarily be the benchmark you set for yourself.This was the goal I set for myself, and, when I got there, I realized I was having more indigestion than fun. It is awesome to have the skills to make a relaxing gore or bailey trip, but I lost sight of the reason I was boating. I am not a gnar boater by any means but the best days I have had are on class III-IV trips with friends and many times on IV-V runs these days I am taking the far far right line (on shore) to make my day a little more stress free. This isn't skiing, you don't impress people by doing a DOUBLE BLACK DIAMOND, you impress people by being a sold boating partner who they can rely on when they need to. my two cents.

Oh and Brian, just because you are in a creekboat doesn't mean it is class IV
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #45
Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
You left your sex wax in my car again you sick bastard. How many times do i have to tell you i dont want my wife to find that! Also, I am gonna need those tall rubber boots back that i let you borrow. Thanks for carrying my boat to the gore putin yesterday.

And Craig, Castle creek? Dont be such a pansy.....just cause we had to pull a boat out with a truck

Bob, we are running bailey today if you want to go.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012   #46
Copper Mountain, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
If I remember someone swam that day, and it wasn't Turtle.

Cphilli is offline   Reply With Quote