Old 06-12-2012   #11
x, x
Paddling Since: x
Mike thanks man I really need to work on 3 and 4. I've been doing #7 more often, i need to just buck up and keep at it. it's really hard when i want to run rivers though. but a must. i get that now. seriously.

Glenn, I apreciate the advice about getting excited and using it positively. Staying excited and happy vrs. getting quieter and moving less, tensing up, zombifying. etc.
which is what i did. I will be trying that tomorrow along with my sword for the samuri, which also makes sense.

I need to be more agressive and positive in new situations. try to feel more confident and powerful. I try to boat in a relaxed calm state as it unfolds in front of me, but I realize now that clam state is only after i've run it a few time and can see it better.

I need to learn how to be more in the moment with the new stuff and harder runs that i'm trying for. I need to look at it harder and choose the right lines when we scout.

I do and will keep working as many new and challenging lines as i can with the runs i'm comfortable on, and continue to do this as i progress through the classes. very improtant.

I need to work on my cardio and get my ass kicked a few times at the play park.

2nd on my list tomorrow right after lawson.

I enjoy where I am headding and have had at least a taste of a few solid class IVs this past season to get me ready for what is comming. I want to be here, i love this shit. It just feels like a big step right now.

scott, i am reading now, also sent you a pm.

bobbuilds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #12
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Number one bob have fun bro if you aren't having fun pushing yourself chill out nothing to prove by running V we do it cause it's fun!
Number two I smoke don't judge me.
Number three work all the skills rolls and learnto take those beatings by dropping into random holes from time to time hard to know what to do if you aren't getting worked regularly
Number 4 when you crash you get your ass up you suck it up and get back in your kayak!
Number 5 shave your hair into a skullet, mullet is overrated!
Number 6 drink your bootie beers
Number 7 go gayboating it's not fun but it's good for your boating.
Number 8 I'm out of shit to say cause in tired after a sick day with stafford at the real Big T. CHURCH

Number 10 kick Justin in the balls
#5 (this suggestion is clearly the result of #2)

On the river, I can abandon who I am and what I've done. However brief it lasts, while on the river I am nothing important and everything insignificant. I am flotsam, and happy to be so.
hojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #13
Near water (hopefully), Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Play-boating helped me advance a lot. It teaches you how to stay upright in strange circumstances. Your roll becomes bomber and bracing improves. Find features that are a bit intimidating and get trashed in a controlled environment.

Beat downs happen, it sounds like you heard what the river had to say, don't let it get you down.

I always have a gay old time gayboating. Gets fun when you can do more than blunt
smauk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Originally Posted by bobbuilds View Post
I love to paddle.
This is the crux of your post.

Keep with it as long as it's true.
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied...learn to swim!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Getting beat down is part of the game..If you are afraid to swim it don 't run it if it is at the edge of your abilities.Confidence is huge, if you are too gripped you will usually choke.If the downward spiral Glenn mentioned sets in, do yourself a favor, bag it for the day or go do an easier run. Mike 's advice is excellent.I f you are gonna do it don 't hem and haw and overthink it. Get used to getting trashed and staying loose in turbulent water /holes by playing.You boat a lot that usually is key to confidence.
You seem to worry way too much about "knowing /showing you the line " learrn to boat scout, read water, and adapt on the fly.
If it is any consolation to you, I have f 'd that same run up as bad . I duckied it high and stomped it several times years ago, but tried to kayak it around 350/375 a few years ago and sucked royale.Got spanked on easy stuff, could 'nt roll worth a damn,my foot got stuck in my Blunt ( too big for boat), head bounced off some rocks..Ran a little further swam again and called it a day.Also that run starts off with no warm up. You are in semi steep featureless but continuous mani right out of the gate, so it is good to do a pres boat warm up.If you are cold you feel shakier and react slower can go downhill from there.Being fit is huge for confidence.Getting fat and old did 'nt help mine.Lost. 40 lbs. Feel 10 years younger.

Hey guidebook authors that bridge at Vistenz Smith Park has been changed since before CRC 2. I had no ttrouble going under it at 6'4" in a ducky at 630,so kayaks should have no trouble.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #16
Paddling Since: 2002
sounds like you could have used a nice long "time-out" on a friendly rock after that swim and before continuing on, you might have felt better if you took a breather to collect yourself.... my 2 cents
Oh! I don't take it lightly! I've always got to know
There's an old lion a roarin' n the river down below
colorado_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #17
Lakewood, Colorado
Fear will mess up your paddling so fast. If you're super nervouse your brain starts to make irrational decisions for you and you do things like "just drift by" when you should be fiercely paddling. My brain once invented a sneak on the left side of Triple Drop just below Moonpie on Pine Creek at 2500. Turns out it wasn't a sneak but a massive hole. I had run that section at similar and higher flows several times before but was scared that day and my sneak chundered me and I swam. After the swim in the boogie water leading to the #s put in I was almost completely unable to make decisions on lines, waiting until I was about to get plastered on a rock before deciding to go left or right. It was an awful feeling and I learned to recognize when I should stay off a particular run or rapid. You can learn to overcome those fears but until you do they will kick your ass.

That section of the Big T starts off with the crux. It's a great read and run stretch and good practice for continuous heads up boating. Will this be your first time on Lawson? That's another fantastic read and run section that will build skills and confidence.
mjpowhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #18
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Hey Bob,

Knowing you for awhile I thought I might reply, since you're going to get everyones feedback.

There aren't many ppl on the buzz like you that can take this much feedback with an open mind.

I agree with some of the comments above for you. 1. beat downs WILL happen to us. It's how you react to them that matters. Mike said it best for you-get your ass back in the boat and take control. 2 stop thinking so much. I know you have spent a lot of time too focused and less time smiling. Relax when possible; get serious when you should. 3 WW courses are good for all us. Go do it. 4. Get your offside roll/brace perfect. Confidence booster. 5. Cardio fitness makes a huge difference in Our capabilities and confidence.

You've come a long way since I've met you. Don't let a hiccup slow you down or kill your buzz. It was probably past due Bob. Hit me up sometime.
History will be kind to me, for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill-
Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #19
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Bob.....I had a good time with you last night running this section. New section for the both of us, at a good flow! I just wanted to remind you that you are a good boater. I like that you are always excited about getting out and doing some paddling. I respect the fact that you’re a safe boater and always think safety. Beat downs happen, even on runs that we become comfortable on. You just got to learn from the experience, put it behind you, and try not to do it again.

I am also nervous when I put onto a run especially a new one. The excitement of what’s downstream or around the next bend or.....this is bigger than it looked! It gives you something to look forward to, it’s an adventure, and this anticipation of what’s next is what keeps most people coming back for more. You are going to have these feelings doing anything that is outside your comfort zone weather it be: boating, climbing, skiing, anything where you’re putting yourself out there and something is on the line. The key is to turn this nervousness or anticipation into a positive. Use this energy to increase your focus level and make clear thoughts. If you’re having a bad day, just know that you can eddy hop the stuff you feel comfortable on and portage the stuff you don't. This continuing on and completing the run, I feel is good for the head. Just knowing that you bucked up and completed the run even with a few portages is good confidence builder after beat down. When you start doubting yourself is when things start to slip away and take turn for the worse, confidence wise.

Another confidence builder I have found is to lead new runs that are at your ability. Runs you don't know much about and you have to pick lines and read the water. Not relying on others information about a particular and completing it will give you the confidence that “hey I CAN put on water at my ability without any beta and navigate down with my crew to complete the mission” without feeling overwhelmed. Also learning and feeling comfortable boat scouting from eddy to eddy opens up a lot of opportunities and is good for the head. If you’re in the eddy and you still can’t see the line, get out and have a scout.

I felt you did an awesome job from the start. I thought you looked solid on continuous water all the way up until you had an issue. Even afterwards as we were eddy hopping down I thought you looked good and were executing your lines and making the eddys. I think you just let the swim get into your head and you started to second guess yourself and your abilities. That's when you need to get your shit together and tell yourself "I can do this, I’m going to make the best of this situation". Don’t let this get you down man, you’re a good boater and I look forward to boating with you next time!
coloclimber512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #20
dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Beatdowns suck and after last year, I find I'm definitely more comfortable with high water style boating than this shallow bs, but it's what we have this year so I'll deal with it. I second playboating as a great way to get more solid in holes, good minibeatdown practice. As a chick, I definitely know what you mean about feeling like I'm constantly worried about my safety and the safety of others boating with me. I go thru the same questions in my head...which is not always a bad thing. Controlling fear is a practiced art...try reading "A Rock Warriors Way" the title is totally goofy but the message inside applies to everything from backcountry skiing to stepping up your boating skills. Last year I was stoked to try my hand in Class V but as I stepped it up I got beat up as well, breaking 2 helmets, getting run over by a raft at the entrance to a rapid, and almost breaking my shoulder within a few months. This completely shook me up but made me realize, thankfully before I was in a class V rapid, that my head is what I need to work on most. Most of those incidents could have been avoided if I had focused on what I was doing instead of what was scaring me.

chepora is offline   Reply With Quote