Old 09-02-2004   #1
Gus owners

I am looking into perhaps buying a gus but was wondering how it preforms on steep creeks? Also, i weigh 190-95, would this boat be too big for me. I currently paddle a huck and wonder if i am too big for it. I like it but it feels bit sluggish. any ideas?

huckit21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004   #2
I own one I come in at 190 and it seems fine for me. sj.

sj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004   #3
i love my gus. it performs excellent on steep creeks and in big volume. don't be scared of the edge, it really helps tracking. just remember that it likes to go in the direction it is pointing. paddle it a few times on something easy so you can get used to it.
i weigh 180 and it is perfect.

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
It is all about building a relationship with your boat. If you love her and she loves you it will be all good.

I had a creek boat (Pyranha Creeker 280) that I did not put in the time with. I got worked on some V's and I had to sell her. With my new baby I have been working on our relationship and she treats me so well.

Get a creek boat and paddle her 'til you two are on the same page.
cosurfgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004   #5
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
i currently have both the gus and huck and although i agree that the gus is an awesome high performance boat, i strongly prefer the huck for colorado steep creeks. the gus' strengths are hole punching and speed, neither of which i feel are top priority on a low volume steep creek.

as Kyle M. posted a while back, it's a trade off between working to stay on line and working to turn your boat. with the huck you work to stay on line. with the gus you work to turn.

oh and i'm 180 pounds.

just my opinion.
Bryan Houle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004   #6
I actually find the Gus easier to turn than the Huck. It doesn't really make sense. maybe I Float higher is the Gus, but the huck seems to always have the ends buried. But I did not put in the time with the Huck.

friend of the fork, knife, and spoon
peterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004   #7
dropzone, Colorado
buy a gus eric. it is the best boat ever. When are you guys coming out to visit me and run some steep southeastern creeks? over and out.

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote