Old 05-18-2006   #1
Gunnison Valley Paddlers

The Gunnison Valley Paddle Club is having an open "meeting" Tuesday May 23 6pm. Really, its just a get together to float together on the Gunnison River from the White Water Park to the McCabe's take-out.

Canoes, rafts, kayaks, dories etc. are all welcome. Meet at 6 pm at the Whitewater park. We will run a couple of shuttles then float and conversate on the way down to McCabe's.

The poupose:

For Gunnison floaters to get to know those they are paddling and rowing next to on the river.

To discuss up comming events. Including Lake Fork floats and demo and instruction days.

To discuss concerns we have for our navagable rivers.

Hope to see you there. For more information contact me

Greg Osgood

Osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #2
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
id love join you but i dont think ill be back in time. any chance these will be a continuing thing...?

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #3
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998

Yeah, actually, i believe, these floats will be every other meeting, and the
other meeting will be non floating. I say make it weekly, and I say it here
cause I cant go to the bar and say it at a meeting ;)
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006   #4
andy has it right.

We are trying to have two meetings a month. One sit down... to discuss what we can do in the future and one floating. 2nd and fourth tuesdays? In addition we are trying to also schedual other floats, demos, instruction for never-evers, roll sessions, and get togethers.

and Andy, our sit down meeting is at The Almont but not neccessarily in the bar. At the last one, we were on the Deck (I think all ages are welcome there) untill it got too cold for someone who will remain nameless. Then we moved inside to the resturaunt side. Drinking or being 21 is definately not a prerequisite.

Next time bring your hoodie.
Old 05-21-2006   #5
The river is moving pretty good. Should be a quick trip.

Have you seen mosquitos at McCabes yet?
onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006   #6
Wow, what a rain storm yesterday. Bumped the gunni up to 3200CFS. Looked at the park and the waves look great. You have to walk back up to the top when you get flushed out, but they are fast and fun!! The Lower (Sloppy Seconds) got real steep overnight. Check it out.

We are still on for a paddle tonight. See you at the Gunnison White Water Park (twin bridges put-in) tonight (tuesday) at 6 pm.

The levels are on their way down but I would expect flows just under 3 grand. It will be nice to see how it affects Psycodelic falls. We might have to have a contest for the best line through there. the strainer... boulder boof.... aireal lcorkscrew.... eddy plop....

I think it can be done...

Old 05-23-2006   #7
Speaking of Psycodelic Falls this might be the last time to run this messy pile of rocks at this level. The river structure re-vamp is set for the fall. it is going to change it from dropping 10 feet in 6 feet to dropping 10 feet in 70 feet with a nice clear channel to follow. And this will hopefully be a permanant structure so the owners of the ditch don't have to send someone in to mess it up again.

Old 05-23-2006   #8
I just looked at Psycodelic Falls and it is now almost a low head dam. The canoe is still in there but the rest of it "looks" clean although you know the sticks and boulder sives are still there hidden underneath.

The hydrolic under the lip is very sticky and could get you (none of you im sure) in trouble. tell your friends to paddle through don't just float. As is the case with any river feature. This one just happens to be on a traditionaly class I and II section so it could catch the un-suspecting floater, tuber, bucks bags fisherman etc. by suprise.