Old 04-27-2012   #1
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Gunnison River Festival 2012!

Hey Everbody,

Save the date - the Gunnison River Festival will going down June 22-23 this year. Events include:
  • Freestyle Kayak Competition (NOTE: this year's kayak comp will NOT be a pro circuit event, which means all you boaters will have a much better chance at winning some prize money!)
  • Hooligan Race
  • Stand Up Paddle Boarding
  • Raft Rodeo
  • Community Raft Parade
  • Competitive Raft Race
  • Kids Fun Zone
  • Gunnison River Festival Extravaganza (Friday night excitement to kick off the festival with river games and live music by Tornado Rider!)
For more info and updates check out the Gunnison River Festival Facebook page and Flows might be low this year, but spirits will be high, so we hope you'll join us for another fun-filled Gunnison River Festival June 22-23!

GunnyRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #2
Durango, Colorado
Gunnison River Festival is this weekend!

The Gunnison River Festival is this weekend folks! and we've upped the ante in a couple ways so we hope you'll join us...

We put some temporary concrete (Jersey) barriers in at the top of the third feature in the Gunnison Whitewater Park to constrict the flow and the hole is looking good! Also, there is a $200 purse plus prizes for each of the competitions!

The excitement starts tomorrow evening (Friday) at 5:30 with river games and live music by Tornado Rider. We hope to see you there!

Old 06-21-2012   #3
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Tornado rider is sick!

Races, dog-games, music, great people, and Tornado Rider is totally sweet, but please don't lie about the 'hole.' Ever hear of the Boy Who Cried Wolf? Our crazy surgy 6 foot wave-hole is world-class when the flows are up, if you coddling organizards can get the spectators across the flooded parking lot. But- thats not this year .. Last year .. I mean world class.
Lying about hole-quality is kind of underhanded, as if the good boaters don't know anyway. Therein lies another bad credibility problem ;(

(of course, I know a thing or two about credibility problems, so readers.. go to gunny-fest?)

(edit, ps: Dress for the swim!)
&d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012   #4
Durango, Colorado
Dear &d,

I'm glad to see that your stoke is high for most of the GRF, but I can see that the low-water blues have started to get to you. I feel your pain as I haven't kayaked since injuring my shoulder on my first trip of the season (Escalante Creek, April 1st - no fooling). But be stoked my friend, because in my opinion the wave IS "looking good". Have you been down to the wave since the jersey barriers were put in? I haven't surfed it, but I wish I could right now. I did run into a couple boaters at the park today who had just taken out and claimed to be pulling off some pretty sweet moves (i didn't even know what some of the other ones were, but appartently cartwheels, splitwheels, and even space godzillas were going down).

I think it seems unfair to say that I was lying about the hole or being underhanded in any way. Maybe I'm an optimist, but I'm also an honest guy. I didn't say the hole was epic and there were going to be huge aerial loops, I just said it was "looking good", which I believe is true (especially considering the circumstances) - I can pretty much guarantee that the inflatable rodeo is going to be highly entertaining and I'm pretty sure the kayakers (and everybody else for that matter) are going to have fun too. In case you haven't been down there to surf or check it out (and to show everybody what I'm talking about), I included a few pictures from this afternoon at the bottom of this post.

We hope to see you and many other folks out having a blast this weekend at the Festival, starting tomorrow night at 5:30!

Old 06-22-2012   #5
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
I love the gunny park because I am a squirt boatar and really, the middle feature is kind of a sweet squirt spot even at these flows. Old schoolers will win the low water rodeos, probably not me this year, and tornado riders are the funk. Pics look good.. anyone else cartwheeled a 9 foot boat in that feature? Come-on: SPIN TO WIN!
&d is offline   Reply With Quote