Old 04-05-2009   #1
Elizabeth, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2yrs
Gunnison gorge questions

Have never done Gunny gorge. Do I need permits or camping reservations? How are the rapids? Can you carry rafts or ik s down the Chukar trail? Are there any camps preferable to others? Thanks

Tambetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009   #2
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Here's a link to good info about the rapids, permit, etc:

BKM Colorado | Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area | River Information

The shuttle is long and most use these guys to run it:

Gunnison River Pleasure Park : Services

It is a decent hike down. There's an outfitter with horses that you can hire to take gear down to the river.

List of outfitters (horse pack is at the bottom):

BLM Colorado | Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area | Outfitters

I've kayaked it several times. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009   #3
Golden, Colorado
The majority of the upper rapids are fairly easy; one move and you are through. The more difficult rapids start at the Boulder Gardens and continue through the Narrows. I have run it a few times, and would compare the lower stretch to Shoshone in difficulty. However, I have never been there when the flows are greater than 1500, so depending on when you go will determine how useful this info is to you.

Using Imaciag's info will be of great use to you. The first time I ran Gunny Gorge, I actually carried the BLM descriptions of the rapids with me. They add a little hype to the intensity of the rapids (in my opinion), but considering the difficulty of a rescue, I can see why the would do so.

The hike isn't terrible - probably a little over a mile. Last time I checked, the shuttle was around $75/vehicle. If you are going to arrange a shuttle, make sure to do so in advance and check in before you head down to Chukar. We tried to get in touch with Leroy at Pleasure Park to run shuttle after half of our party bailed, and the number had been disconnected.

Hope this helps....
brandon_blomquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #4
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Has anyone been sliding down chuckar trail road recently? I'm thinkin it's been dry enough the last few, the road should be good?
Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009   #5
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 98
Not to hijack but assuming you have the right vehicle how far down the trail can you get? The BLM site above says it's "wilderness" which means no vehicles but from what others have said it sounds like you can drive down.

So what's the scoop?
GPP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #6
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
....chukar road....

rode motos over there last sunday...chukar is can only drive chukar road til the campground/trail head...then it is time to hike's about 40 minutes on a much improved 4-wheel road....enjoy....let me know when you may go as i could meet you at leroy' could use my truck to get to chukar trail head...then it will be there for me when i come out of the upper section....milo 970-275-1890 or
milo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #7
Ridgway, Colorado
Floated Gunny Gorge yesterday. Road is dry (which by the way is a what we call a cherrystem into the wilderness). The Gunnison Gorge IS a capital W Wilderness area. The road leads you to the trailhead. The horse packer does not start till middle of May, but it depends. The descriptions of the rapids are written not with hype, but with the lower experienced boater in mind. Almost all are class 3 at regular flows. Permits are self issuing at the trailhead. $3 per person for a day trip, $10 per person for an overnight, and $15 per person for 2 nights. Good campsites are Buttermilk, Ute 2, Caddis Camp, Boulder Garden, and T-dyke. Hope this helps
rmathis27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #8
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Carrying rafts down Chuckar trail is possible but some have complained of knee problems since then. Carrying duckies and kayaks down is preferrable. The shuttle and carry down take more time than you would think so sleeping at the trailhead is a good idea.
jeffsssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #9
conifer, Colorado
Originally Posted by jeffsssmith View Post
Carrying rafts down Chuckar trail is possible but some have complained of knee problems since then. Carrying duckies and kayaks down is preferrable. The shuttle and carry down take more time than you would think so sleeping at the trailhead is a good idea.
I've done the hike in the middle of the night and don't recommend this. Bring a fishing pole and the shuttle is worth the money.
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009   #10
Mapleton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
I have always driven the shuttle myself, not too bad. It is a beautiful canyon, definitely spend a night. If you meet a ranger named rooster ask him to tell you about the Immodium AD Bandits. That's Me.

Newty is offline   Reply With Quote