Old 06-19-2006   #1
Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 98
Gunnison Freestyle Competition 6/24-6/25

The 4th Annual Gunnison Rodeo will be held from 6/24-6/25 during the Colorado Adventure Sports Fest. This event is at the Gunnison Whitewater Park, just west of town at Twin Bridges. Whitewater events include: freestyle, downriver kayak race, raft races, and and yes, a foamie comp. Here's a link to the full schedule of events:

Don't miss Saturday night's New Belgium Rockstar Pary at Timbers featuring Hair Force One and Eddy Bacon and the Shagnastys....always a fun a rowdy time.

As the former freestyle coordinator, now Salida local, I have enjoyed working with Three Rivers, the Gunnison Valley Paddle Club, and Western State over the years to make the Gunny Fest happen. Also, there are tons of contributors and supporters who have played a huge role...thanks.

Matty P, from Three Rivers now has the torch as the coordinator and will make sure the whitewater events run smoothly this year. He has done a great job to make things happen with the Fest and Gunnison Valley Paddle Club over the years. Not to mention being a solid guy to paddle with from OBJ to the Laja....Gracias El Ormega!

I'll be fired up to see y'all this weekend!

Any updates from Gunny locals on the play park?

Bryan Owen

bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006   #2
student wasted state, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Send a message via AIM to vaultman14
yo brian its josh, playpark is lower now so easier to work with the lower feature is the good one lots of fun hole surfers left is fun. yo matty if you read this jon meyers said he would judge and brian party my house friday come on over

you know sometimes i wish i would have chosen something like baseball but, i didn't and i'm a kayaker so this is what i do." -Nick Turner (Wehyakin)
vaultman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006   #3
California Canoe and Kayak Oakland California
Send a message via MSN to Parkito
Thanks a lot Brian, and Jon that would be buenaso if you could judge, I have time keepers and a scribe but a little help with calling the moves would be awesome. Went to the park last night and it is surf city. The park is going to be at the best level we have to offer and I can't wait to see what the pros' can do in there. The second wave is nice and retentive and bouncy. The first wave is a gentle wave with a pile. No problems right now with getting into the waves, the eddies are perfect.

The Captain Black Boatercross will be held on Sunday at the park and the main prize will be a brand new kayak from Three Rivers Paddle Shop in Almont. I need a little help from Milo setting up the course but hopefully we see some more puke this year.

The Rock Star party is going to be insane! We've got Hair Force One and they're going to melt faces off! Be sure to wear your finest rock star duds and doos.

This years Colorado Adventure Sports festival is going to be great and thanks to all for help making it happen, hope to see many there.

Matt Parker
Parkito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #4
Asheville, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 98
schedule of events:
bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006   #5
gunnison, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
"best level we have to offer" .. The trick is to time it correctly. At 3k there was a small, dissapearing glassy on river left that fed into the pile (which is of course, unstable) but time it correctly and you can grind across that, into the pile, throw a few ends, surf onto the big lateral, get oriented, do a shuvit back onto what now might be a steep, rushing green wave about to crash back into hole form, backwards, ollie for a backstab, wave crashes, rotate into the second half of a loop, keep your split momentum, get another end and get back onto the lateral as the pile turns back into a wave.. i still get a little excited thinking about the (too small) number of rides i took on it this go round

the best ride i got today (im my squirt boat) was a shuvit, the best ride i saw today was vaultman with 360 river right, backsurf, flatspin 180 river left, landed a low angle blunt, which doesnt sound bad at all, its just not nearly as cool as it was at 3k

not to de hype the event, lets have a great time eh! .. but maybe next year we can have it at a better level?
&d is offline   Reply With Quote