Old 06-29-2005   #1
loveland, Colorado
gunnison area beta from locals

Appreciate any beta on whether Cebolla Creek is running right now. Does one have to drive up 149 and stop at bridge, then look at creek below for gauge? If it is running, any wood? I'm guessing a river-play boat would be fine thru there?

Also, if one paddles the upper east without plunging over stupid falls, what are those drops rated at?

suigeneris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #2
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
cebolla : i dont know what the wood situation is right now, but with the lake fork running at 800+, it should probably have enough water in it. the drainage basin isnt as big, but its still fairly good size and there should be enough water. as far as wood, i dont know, i havent been down there this year. there is some minor property concern issues for the first few miles, but after that it mellows out into a beautiful class II/III- canyon until blue mesa. the paddle out sucks, no way about it.

as for the upper east, the drops are all fairly straightforward, i would even say IV for everything except stupid falls. thats more in the CB area, you might want to check with someone such as milo or another local CB'er as that is more on their end of the valley.

yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005   #3
as for cellbola creek i would most deff think there is a ton of wood. And the upper east is a colorado classic, short olny like 4 or 5 drops and then you get for stupid, my advise run it like 12 times in a day the flow is great. and if you want you can run stupid it makes the run most woth it and there is also one drop above the put it bridge its called early bird falls.
kurfothich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #4
Would like to check out Lake Fork Box and The Gate to Red Bridge this weekend. (Assuming we can find a camp site.) Class III-II boaters with combat rolls. Anything we should watch out for on our maiden voyage, including wood, fences and private property issues? Just two of us, so if anyone is interested in showing a couple of visitors the way, we'd sure love to hook up. We'll also be on the lower Taylor. Again, if anyone is interested, the more the safer.

As Always, Thank you,
307-399-5333 or
Loaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005   #5
Hey Rich,
sounds like the gauge is truely visual. A lot of wood sounds scary though. I am thinking of coming to CB on the 4th to see for myself. -Nora
FlyingFluke is offline   Reply With Quote