Old 05-22-2006   #1
photo editor
gunni gorge info

thinking of a trip down gunni gorge. if it stays around the current level,700 cfs, is it suitable for beginners in a 2 person wife and younger son, 12. can the rapids be walked around. they aren't boaters but i think they'd be into the canyon.

who do you contact about getting boats and gear down to the put-in and what does it cost?

also, is escalante to whitewater a good float. i know it's flat. but at nearly 4,000 cfs is it just a muddy fast flush or mellow enough for a family trip?

dkrakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #2
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I did gunny gorge at about 800 cfs last year. We had some inflatable kayaks and used them mainly after the rapids. There are a few rapids with maneuvers around rocks that would be pretty stout for beginners in duckies, and would not make for nice swims. You could walk some, but it might get to be too much. Two swimmers out of a duckie would be action too. If you have a raft with you, you could put the duckie on the raft when it gets too much.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #3
At 700 it is a solid 3. Nothing particularly challanging but is is a very difficult evacuation if something were to happen. boulder garden is a somewhat technical obstical course, and the final set of rapids are pretty much back to back, with some of them probably more dangerous to walk around then run. I would compare it in low water to browns at about 1500. If they start releasing a bunch of water from the dam, it can get real big and scary [5-10k]. Doubt that will happen until the lake fills up. Also, the water is pretty darn cold. All said, it is a pretty special place down there. Bring a rod and look for the salmonfly hatch in the next few weeks.
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #4
Long shuttle or pay some money to have it run for you and its still not quick. Mules only carry 80 pounds. I forget how much it costs but its not cheap. After all that work getting in there you might want to stay a day or two. And a ducky might not be big enough to carry any gear.

Can't walk around Boulder garden or Cable. Cable would be a quarter mile on ankle turning boulders. Cable is really long and turbulent but probably would not be too bad in a ducky. Boulder Garden is a bit technical and requires a few moves and quick judgement.

Its not really difficult and there are long sections of class I, but I would think twice about sending two non-boaters in there to pilot there own craft.

Escalante is actually pretty nice. There is barely a class II but it is a very nice stretch of water. At this level and starting from Delta Confluence Park and with one night camping you could have two long days of great scenic paddling and a couple of nice hikes. This is a good time of year for it. Fast current and no mosquitos yet.
onebakedpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006   #5
crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Send a message via Yahoo to milo
......twicebakedpotato is correct...... and it would very diffcult to exit the canyon once you get goin'[READ-if shit hit the fan]......if you were dialed i'd say go for it....maybe practice up and hit it in the fall?......jr420cb
milo is offline   Reply With Quote