Old 04-15-2005   #1
Gunni Gorge

OK. Some of you probably had some fun laughing about how I misspelled Gunni Gorge in my last posting. Let me correct it.

Some friends from Salt Lake and I (Longmont, CO.) are planning on running Gunni Gorge on Sunday and then Westwater on Monday (permit is in my pocket). Is anyone on the Western Slope going to be on Gunni Sunday? Is anyone interested in joining us for both trips (Gunni and Westwater)? I have some spot open on the permit.

I need some beta on the Gunni. What is the best way to the Chucker trail from Grand Junction? Is there anything I should be aware of about the shuttle or put-in? How is the run at 1000-2000 cfs?

h2ohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #2
I've done the run, it was a while ago, but I'll tell you what I know.

Just folow the shuttle info in CRCII. It's long. We drove a Subaru wagon to the put-in and didn't have much trouble, the road was dry. The walk down the Chukar Trail wasn't a big deal either, we dragged our boats with cam straps.

Once on the river, it was really nice. The water was clear and cold and there was nobody down there. The level was ~1100cfs and the rapids are all class III or less. There was maybe 4 or 5 rapids that I remember, nothing big. You can boat scout it all, there was one drop in there that gave you a choice of slots, but I think all slots were good to go, can't remember exactly. When in doubt, scout, but you should be fine.

Nice canyon, long flat paddle out. Have fun!

ebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #3
Don't take the left side at Cable rapid. That one is ugly. Cable comes towards the end of the run when the canyon squeezes together again.

You could pay to have the shuttle run and wouldn't have to go back to get your car after the run. Check with the folks at the take out - Pleasure Park.
Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #4
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
What's wrong with the left side in Cable? Have you ever done it, Bob? All info is correct from above, but not all slots are clear all the time, but should be 95% open at 1200 or whatever it is running now.

I recommending scouting rock garden and cable. Rock garden has many lines, but you might want to have a look if you have never done it. In the lower canyon, the first significant rapid and cable (right after) if in doubt, stay right.

Fun trip, great scenery and cold water. Take a hike up Smith fork at the end, it is kind of neat.

I think it will seem more difficult than it is for your first time. Take your time and enjoy it. Don't be afraid to scout too much. Once you do it once, you will know the lines.
rivermanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005   #5
Socratic Philosopher
We did it at 1500cfs last fall. I felt that was a great level. Plan on starting your shuttle real early AM. The shuttle, hike and other various Chukar Road mishaps can happen that will chew away at your daylight. It can be a long day. The gorge is beautiful and has the wilderness feel. There are some twenty-odd campsites.

The most action is in the mile of whitewater, when you get into the narrow canyon. It's goes by fast at 1500 (see maps available at the put-in, I think it starts around mile 9). The last three mile flatwater paddle out goes by real sloooow, unless it's getting dark, then painfully slow because you will be paddling hard to get out.

If the road is dry, it will be fine. Wet, best of luck to you.
Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder, there's nothin' to plunder. I'm an over forty victim of fate.
el gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #6
Salida, Colorado

Headed to UT today. Too late for Gunni but could meet you for WW set shuttle etc if you call this am. 970-274-2289. W
No amount of money is worth your free time!
whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005   #7
We did Gunni earlier this year at 1700. Fun run. All the rapids were clear--no wood. Nothing too hard. You may want to scout the one or two rapids that aren't obvious from the boat if you aren't a class IV boater.

Cold water.

Hike in was great.

stiff is offline   Reply With Quote