Old 04-05-2011   #1
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
guide book to Grand Canyon rapids?

I have searched and can't seem to find an oarsman's guide book to Grand Canyon rapids. I saw one on a Colorado R trip about 10 years ago. It had diagrams of the rafter's best lines through every major rapid.

Has anybody seen one?

dmavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #2
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
I have this in my boating archive, can't vouch for the accuracy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How To Row The Grand Canyon Rapids - Updated 6-16 (3).pdf (125.0 KB, 526 views)

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #3
Eastern Slope, Colorado
The book you're looking for is River Briefs for a Trip Through the Grand Canyon by Linda Lou Lindemann. There are only a few left in circulation as the author is deceased, but you can find one on Amazon if you hurry.

It's a great book at 10-12k and 20k, it wasn't very useful last month at 16k.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #4
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Last March, I bought the Lindemann guide at the Navajo Bridge Interpretive Center (on Hwy 89 right by the turn off for Lee's Ferry). Maybe they won't have it anymore, though.

FWIW - the flows were 6-12k for our trip and I only looked at the Lindemann guide a few times. I found the Martin and Whitis RiverMap was usually enough, along with scouting the biggest ones.
Fash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #5

Randy nailed it.

With "tidal" action due to releases from the dam above, you may encounter daily flows ranging anywhere from 5-8k to 15-20k cfs. When I was down there last Fall, a steady three-day rain event raised the river 5-6 feet overnite at our Ledges camp and kept it high -- significantly changing the rapids below us the next day. Many places (Horn comes to mind) look quite a bit different even from morning to afternoon, because of when the "tide" arrives.

So lines vary dramatically when you are working with that kind of volume range, and guides are really only that. Relying on scouting and your ability to read water are what really gets things done.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011   #6
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
The Lindemann book was available at the Marble Canyon Lodge in November. I ended up having all three sources mentioned here. Some descriptions varied quite a bit. Nice to read them all and have plans a, b & c.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #7
Bozeman, Montana
Thank you all for the info. This was just what I was looking for!
dmavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #8
whitewater, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
You can order a copy of Linda Lindemann's book from Five Quail Books in Flagstaff. Cost is $17.95 + $3.95 s&h. They are very fast. URL to order online is Five Quail Books: Grand Canyon, Colorado River, Colorado Plateau out-of-print, rare and new books, etc.
geezerboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #9
Oregon City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1972
I agree that the Lindemann book is necessary, but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned Guide to the Colorado River in the Grand Canyon by Tom Martin and Duwain Whitis. It's a waterproof, highly detailed river map, and it works very nicely in conjunction with the Lindemann book.
The Mogur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011   #10
Read the river, not the book

Know where the big rapids are and scout.
Everything else is read and run.

alanbol is offline   Reply With Quote