Old 09-27-2007   #1
Guatemala suggestions?

I'm going to be in Guatemala City and Antigua for a few days near the beginning of November. I'm traveling with non-boaters, but would love to sneak out for a day of Class III-IV paddling. If anyone out there has beta on runs, knows whether or not it's possibly to rent a kayak, or knows of boaters or outfitters in the area, any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

FCez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007   #2
I dont know if it is even possible to rent kayaks and if it is expect old boats. The only rafting company in the country only has bail boats. With that being said there are rivers everywhere especially in the fall. We only got on the lanquin and the cahabon which are both 3-4 and in the same area. You can find them on a map, but it would be easier to find the tourist spot semuc champey which are some not boatable travertine waterfalls. The put in for the lanquin is below the cave just outside of the city there. The whole lanquin, 1000+ cfs, comes out of the cave. Put in below that cave. The first half of the run is fun class 3, at about the halfway point there is a 8-10 foot class IV drop, soon after that is an easily portaged V+ that i would never run, but you might want to. Portage/scout right. After the big drop is some continuous read and run class IV,IV-. The Cahabon is found on the other side of town just down the road from the lanquin (which flows into the cahabon) The Cahabon is 3-4 pool drop in character. Scout at the horizon lines. Other beta is hard to find but Im sure there are classics/first d's all over that country.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007   #3
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Give up the rivers and go surf!

I was there in November two years ago for a surf trip, I saw some rivers but they didn't have a whole lot of water in them. I believe that november is the end of the rainy season, so there probably won't be much water anyway. We stayed at a surf camp in El Paredon Buena Vista near Sipicate (pacific coast), the surf is constant 6-8 ft swells with a nice beach break. This would be an excellent place to surf kayak if you had a boat, if not, a board works well. The camp has a web site These are some of the nicest people who I have ever met and it is really cheap to stay there. I think they will even pick you up at the Airport (which can be fucking crazy). Good luck!
ChrisL is offline   Reply With Quote