Old 06-07-2005   #1
Greetings From Zambia

A quick shout out to all my old boatin' homies! I hope the season is treating you well. My kayak's in the closet for now because the Zambezi is just too big this time of year. Several deaths have occurred recently in between 11 and 13 where the water seems to be just sucking guys under for minutes at a time. Anyway, I had some excellent days on this past year. I will tell more next time I'm in town which incidentally will be in a few weeks. JJ, Leif, Mikey, Carol, Daniel, Nick, Nicole and others - get in touch if you want to paddle at the end of June beginning of July. I'll be in town for two weeks.

PS - Anyone out there with some extra cash saved and a few weeks off in September and October, the Zambezi is the place to be. Go to for details and get in touch with Sven (Andrew Bolton), who runs the local guiding service.

JimmyJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005   #2
Jimmy! Really looking forward to catching up and getting out on the river with you- we'll be around, and I think Nick is teaching up on the Poudre anyway June 25-26(?) Doing an Animas trip July 4 weekend too if you guys would be into that- with rafts too.
Number's the same, give a shout when you get into town

nicoleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005   #3
bro, get your shit out of the closet and paddle. Should be a great time when you return. The poudre has been sweet this year so far and there will be plenty when you are home.
JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #4
Question for you out there on the Zambezi . . . I am going to be in South Africa between July and August, and I've contacted Sven at, but the 2 trips he has planned between July and August are full and I am going out there by myself so I would need at least 3 more people to organize a trip with him.

So, if I just show up out there what are the chances of me being able to hook up with any other paddlers randomly? And when would I have a better chance of running into kayakers out there - end of July or early August?

Thanks in advance if you can help me out here.
Binge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005   #5
Binge...tough question which I'm afraid I have no definite answers for. I think your best bet would be to let Sven know that you would be in town anyway and to ask him if it would be possible to hook up with any boaters. I am rarely there for more than a day or two so I always join up with whatever groups are on for that day. You might also keep in touch with him and see if any other groups sign up between now and then. I don't imagine it would be likely to just hang around livingston and run into boaters though you would definitely be able to raft the river at least and perhaps meet guys that way. What few kayakers there are work as guides or safety kayaks for the raft companies.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I will be in the states during that timeframe or I'd be happy to meet you there. Anyway, don't give up because it is certainly worth the effort if you score a few days on this river.

JimmyJam is offline   Reply With Quote