Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 07-01-2009   #1
GJ, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Green River play park to be back in session!!!

The boredom of I-80 is about to be broken up again thanks to the Green River Parks and Rec Department. The city has dropped a little over $1 million to re-build the recently washed out playpark through town. Last time I was in town I stopped by to check out the construction and spoke with one of the gentlemen working on the project. This year they will be finishing up the lower wave, where they used to have the rodeo's. The guy told me that they should be done in late September or October. The crew will pick up the project again next year and rebuild the middle hole, which is at the head of the island and should finish it by the fall of 2010. They are also doing some major over-hauling of the wanna-be slalom course that they put in, not sure what their plans are there but it looks like it might be fun.

Now for the REAL exciting stuff...

The crew is putting in a bladder wave which will be adjustable from the riverside eddy. I'm sure that the city will have total control over changing the feature, but the Parks and Rec crew are some really good dudes and would probably hook you up if you run into them near the river. From my understanding, they are digging about a 15-20 foot deep trench in the river bed where they will pour a concrete form that will contain the inflatable bladder. There will then be a sheet of metal running over the bladder that will move up and down as you adjust the air, changing the steepness of the hole. Hopefully this will allow for a range of features to be possible in one location!

I have attatched two pics looking across the river of the construction underway... looks like some serious business that will hopefully stick around this time!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0529092038.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1677   Click image for larger version

Name:	0529092038a.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1678  

bluechev83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009   #2
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
Looks like oil/gas/mining money well spent to me. The old park was great before it washed out, with year round water and the adjustable bladder this thing should be bad ass. As anyone who has playboated on the Payette can tell you, bladder waves do not dissapoint,

(sorry about bogarting the picture)
Well done Green River! I'm stoked to try it out.

Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #3
GJ, Colorado
Another update from the Casper Star Trib...
Casper Star-Tribune Online - Wyoming
Old 08-10-2009   #4
doesn't need a fake name
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Holy Crap

Wow, they're not just nudging rocks around, they're serious. Will this actually be a wave, or a hole? How high does the water get through there? Could this wave actually get as good as the bladder in banks?
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009   #5
GJ, Colorado
Average flows are usually around 1200 cfs which will probably yield more of a hole type feature. This summer however, with the solid runoff they were able to keep Fontenelle dam wide open for three weeks which kept flows at just under 9000 cfs. I am sure these flows would put out a pretty exciting wave in GR. Of course, no one really knows what it will look like until it is completed, but the bladder will be adjustable from a control box next to the eddy. I am sure this will be under lock and key, but the city's parks and rec staff are generally freindly and may be willing to take some boater's advice on where to set the bladder to put out the feature that you are looking for. Hopefully it will be completed in the next month or two, can't wait to try it! USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 09217000 GREEN RIVER NEAR GREEN RIVER, WY
Old 09-09-2009   #6
GJ, Colorado
Not an update about the whitewater park, but more great stuff from the City of Green River, they're putting in a pretty fancy looking bike park! Here's the link to the website: Bike Park. Summer of 2010 should be pretty sweet in Southwestern Wyo, new wave and a new bike park!