Old 09-20-2009   #1
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
Green River Park is Back

After a good day yesterday of looping, shredding, and window shading I'll go ahead and say that Green River, Wyoming's new play park might be a better use of a weekend than knuckling down Bailey. The predicted flush wound up not happening, but with baseline flows around 1200 or so, the feature is still kicking.
The adjustability of the weir is one of the most bitching things I've seen, in a matter of minutes the feature could go from sticky, windowshading hole to 2-3 foot surf wave, and everything in between.
The Green River rodeo is going to be quality with this in place. The ability to change the feature from heat to heat, and for different classes/abilities/preferences, is going to make everyone stoked.

Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #2
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
So who controls it and how often will it change? Is it only adjustable when the right person is on duty?

That looks sweet. Are there any other features near it, or an easy section with even some class II or III to run?

Can you camp near it?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009   #3
Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1994
While I was there the builders, Brian and Ted were hanging out and paddling with us, making adjustments and so on. They are training a few guys from the City of Green River to operate the controls and make adjustments. I would imagine they will be keeping it at a pretty constant setting based on flows. All the operators and folk around Green River behind the kayak scene who I have talked to are really enthusiastic and friendly guys, so I would imagine they'd be willing to make adjustments with a quick call.
I floated a short little section that was maybe 1 mile long from the upper most feature down to the main hole, calling it class II would be pushing it. It was totally flat, with virtually no eddies, but you do get to float under a railroad bridge with trains going overhead and I saw a beaver and an eagle, so I'll give it a few stars. It might be worth a side trip down to below Flaming Gorge dam to the ABC etc. floats, they're II and easy III with consistant, warm water and a bit of scenery.
It looked like some of the Utahans this weekend were just car camping right at the parking lot, but if you're looking for something a little better the town is surrounded by BLM, so you could go camp in the desert just about anywhere you please.
Awoody is offline   Reply With Quote