Old 12-19-2007   #1
Rubber Pusher
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Green River Info.

Hey all, I am looking for some info. And as I sit here sick, like most people in Durango, I am finding myself too lazy to do the research with my sweet dial-up connection... gotta love living in the boonies.

I am looking for the mileage from Flaming Gorge Dam to the Lodore Ranger station. And from Split Mountain Campground to the Sand Wash. Does anyone know it off the top of their heads? I should probably just stop being lazy and do it myself, but what the hell.

Now why would someone be looking for info on those sections of river? I have been given the task of planning an epic river expedition for the Adventure Ed program here at Fort Lewis. So if there is any other info on those sections of river - camping, Ouray/Uintah Reservation info, ranch land, etc, that would be great. I know what is necessary for all of the other stretchs above, below, and between those two.

ecjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007   #2
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Off the top of my head (or, as the EPA says, your mileage my vary):

Dam to the Gates is ~45 miles. All the nice camping is in the B section below Little Hole - you'll be competing with fishermen for those sites. There are a couple camp sites in the wildlife sanctuary (one at swinging bridge, one maybe four miles above the ranger station), but they're not very nice. The water is really slow once you get below Swallow Canyon - which is a really cool 2 mile point of interest in the midst of floating a bunch of boring. I've seen moose along that stretch pretty regularly though, which is sort of fun. The park wants you to get a play permit now to float that stretch, which strikes me as completely absurd - cause there ain't no play! A liquor license would make more sense...

Below Split you better like bugs, flat water and potentially wind. I launched from the Ouray wildlife refuge at night one time (long story), threw my 'yak on my raft, and forgot my spray skirt for that rare play wave in Deso. Fortunately I was able to paddle back upstream the 4 miles to the car from where we camped without too much difficulty to retrieve it. Telling... It's about 100 miles from Split to Sand Wash. There's quite a few beaches at lower flows, and some pretty bluffs similar to Sumner's Ampitheater sort of here and there. The camping at high flows is primarily beating back through the tammies or private land. The cottonwood shaded beaches that you can find in Deso aren't there so much upstream. I don't know what the rules are with the Ouray refuge, and the Utes will want you to buy a camping permit from them to stop on their land. If you plan a resupply at the bridge in Ouray, be sure not to park your car there - the tanker trucks that pump river water for the gas fields don't always back up very carefully.

Let me know if you have any specific questions. is offline   Reply With Quote