Old 08-15-2014   #1
lookout mnt., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Green river, flaming gorge to swallow canyon

thinking of doing this trip mid sept. 4 to 6 day range. never done this section so any advice would be greatly appreciated. good places to camp, lay over, hikes, ect. will have a bunch of little ones along. thanks

MCSkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014   #2
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Green River Sections B & C Camping Suggestions

good info at this link (with map of unreservable camping area)

ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014   #3
Depending on the size of your group you might want to think about sites that are next to each other like Pine I and II (I think thatís one.). And some are a lot bigger than others like Red creek rapids. Some of them only have a couple tent pads. Also, some of the camps have toilets so thatís one less thing to setup. I know cottonwood does and a few others. Of course if you camp at the boat ramp campgrounds they do. We had a lot of trouble in C section looking for camps that had been overrun by tammys. It wasnít too fun for us down there but there were a lot of bugs! You shouldnít have any issue by then.

I think taking out at Swallow Canyon is good, I donít think you miss much doing the section from there to Swinging. Swallow canyon can be a really fun place for the kids to play in the water, by then itís not super cold anymore and itís just a long flatwater stretch with lots of gravel bottom shallows. Best thing to do is pick their brains at Trout Creek when you setup the shuttle and get the full lowdown.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #4
Front Range, Colorado
Just ran it back in July

We just ran it back in July. I would recommend getting cats paw and cottonwood. It is a quick walk to a pit toilet, which is better than setting up your own. Cottonwood has a nice pool for the kids to swim in if warm enough.

John Jarvie was an interesting stop for a taste of life in the old days.

The campsites on the map in C were very hard to find. Most were invisible from the river. The ones near taylor flat were pretty crappy. There is a campsite right after little swallow canyon called Lone Tree. That would by my recommendation if I was going to run Swallow. It was a little bit of a walk from the water, but one of the nicer sites with shade.

If you are going all the way to swallow canyon, I'd think about going through Swallow. It is a pretty float and you can take out right after the canyon instead of going to swinging bridge.
iSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #5
Nederland, Co. nearest town., Either grace or kerfuffled
Paddling Since: 1985
Don't think you can go to swinging bridge anymore..didn't they make browns park a wildlife refuge? (PS..the first 8 miles is day section, but below little hole, (red canyon and swallow canyon) you can camp...I did a 2 boat late season duckie trip...lovely section...there's many camps for small group, with fire pans fresh cut stacked wood, raked tent sites, picnic tables, and a mint on your pillow in the morning! I didn't know the names of anywhere we camped...the trout will drive you many, i snagged on with my lure in the back~!
Call the blm in vernal or usfsin dutch john. don't know if they leaves the mints in sept.
Jungle Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014   #6
I floated to swinging bridge three weeks ago. You can float and camp in the refuge, what you can't do is float into Dino without a Lodore permit.
Old 08-21-2014   #7
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I floated to swinging bridge three weeks ago. You can float and camp in the refuge, what you can't do is float into Dino without a Lodore permit.
You don't need a Lodore permit to take out at the Lodore ramp, but you do have to get a free "play permit" or they'll ticket you.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #8
Wow I've never heard that. I thought the play permits were just for the split mountain section, but you're right, right there on the website. Thanks for the correction.
Old 08-21-2014   #9
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 97
The ticket cost me $150.
Hey Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #10
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
ouch, I would never pay it.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote