Old 08-21-2014   #11
Front Range, Colorado
Paddling Since: 97
I try not to argue with the federal gov. Surely you've heard the stories of Dino Rangers. I've not applied for a Dino permit since...Last time I applied it was $ in 10 years, I may.

Hey Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #12
Ogden, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
B Section Camping

I have done this stretch a few time... Some of my favorite sites along the B section are Jackson Creek and Pugmire pocket. If you have a big group and it is available you can double up on Grasshopper #1 and Grasshopper #2 as they are right next to each other. Cheers and have a good trip.

wasatchnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #13
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Be aware the A section boat ramp is a really busy place in the early morning as pro guides launch. They usually need to post a ranger or two to control the vehicle traffic. They literally want you on and off the ramp in under 5 minutes, the pros do it in under 1 min.

You really don't wan't to be there trying to rig for a multi day float in the crush. After 10:00 AM it gets a whole lot quieter. There is no parking down at the launch, no room for it. So you rig for launch in an upper parking lot and drive the trailered boat down to the ramp. In the off hours they don't mind so much if you need to park for a bit.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #14
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Some folks just launch an empty boat at the dam, do the 7 mile day float to Little Hole and load the gear there. Little Hole has lots of room, lots of ramps and lots of parking.

The John Jarvie Historic site on the B section is a fun stop. You can float right up to a little historic park with some early homesteader buildings, a water wheel and a small museum. The fly fishing on the A section is legendary, as are the crowds that come to enjoy it. There will be a lot of drift boats fishing the A section but they really thin out after 12:00 noon. Wade fisherman will be in the river all day long for most of the last 5 miles of the A section. Things thin out a lot below Little Hole. Flaming Gorge Lodge rents rafts and is a good source for parts and missing gear. They also provide shuttle services, including a 'trailer launch' service. The drive out of the C section is long and tough, so the shuttle is pricey.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #15
C. Springs, Colorado
Cicada(sp?) has a nice hike behind it to an abandoned ranch.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote