Old 11-11-2013   #1
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Green Race history

If you've got eyes and ears, you know that the Green Race just happened. I got to talk to Shane Benedict the other day about the history of the race, its prestige, and how it has completely brought about the phenomenon of modern long boat design despite it's total lack of prizes/big sponsors. Shane is the designer at LiduidLogic and raced in the very first Green Race back in 1996.

Check it out and let me know what you think: INTERVIEW

David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #2
Paddling Since: 96
Nice interview, David. Shane and the race are treasures in our community. One minor correction, you have him designing at LL since '79. He designed at Perception back in the day and then formed LL in 2000, I think. He also taught and coached at Adventure Quest while designing for Perception with his last effort being the junior's coach at the 2001 Freestyle Worlds in Sort, Spain. There his design(s), the Shock and the Amp, paddled by his athletes took 4 of the 5 final's spots and the top 2 spots on the podium. The US juniors would have dominated the Men's class that year except for the podium finishers. One of those juniors, Dustin Urban, lives in BV these days. Shane was a great coach, teacher and role model...

Phil U. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013   #3
B.F.E., Wyoming
cool interview. Shane seems like the man, and still designing kickass awesome boats.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #4
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2163
Thanks for the catch Phil!

Has anyone out there actually gotten to try a Stinger yet? I saw one on Gore back in August and it looks super fun. I've only paddled the Dagger Green Boat so far as modern long boats go and they seem way different.
David Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #5
dropzone, Colorado
Good work David. It's a good piece and easy to read. Tim let me try his stinger for the runout in Gore earlier this year. It is super fast as Shane says. It tracks like an arrow and requires some planning to hit your line. Haven't paddled the green boat, but it takes a bit more effort to turn/correct the stinger than my pirouette, based on a quick test. Makes me really respect the folks dialing everything on a tight creek like the Green in them, but I am sure the more time you spend in it, the easier it gets.
ACC is offline   Reply With Quote